Benjamin Mendy - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be ten games a season where his suspect defending will be shown up.

For the other 28 games, he could get himself up there for Premier League POTS.

He could be the best LB in the world soon
Soon? Who's better?

Going to cause all sorts of problems for the bus parkers. Those whipped in crosses behind the defensive line for our players to run on to are devastating. You will have to defend higher up the pitch to stop the supply and that opens up the opposition defence to the rest of our team.

Soon? Who's better?

Going to cause all sorts of problems for the bus parkers. Those whipped in crosses behind the defensive line for our players to run on to are devastating. You will have to defend higher up the pitch to stop the supply and that opens up the opposition defence to the rest of our team.
I don't think anyone is actually better, but he'll need more than one performance like that for people to accept it. A couple of stand out defensive games would be good too - because he did have them at Monaco, he's not the liability some seem to think.

Marcelo is the incumbent favourite - IMO he is nowhere near the attacking threat Mendy is, but he has got 5+ years showing how good he is at the top level.

Alex Sandro had an awful season last year, nowhere near the level he was when we reportedly got a £50m bid rejected.

David Alaba has not been amazing since Pep left. He improved a bit under Heynkes so he's not terrible like he was under Ancelotti, but he's not amazing.

Jordi Alba is up there, I think his defending is underrated and attacking contribution since Neymar left has been back up to his best, but he's not dominated a game like Mendy did yesterday for years, and he's not got the crossing ability or physicality.

I don't think anyone is actually better, but he'll need more than one performance like that for people to accept it. A couple of stand out defensive games would be good too - because he did have them at Monaco, he's not the liability some seem to think.

Marcelo is the incumbent favourite - IMO he is nowhere near the attacking threat Mendy is, but he has got 5+ years showing how good he is at the top level.

Alex Sandro had an awful season last year, nowhere near the level he was when we reportedly got a £50m bid rejected.

David Alaba has not been amazing since Pep left. He improved a bit under Heynkes so he's not terrible like he was under Ancelotti, but he's not amazing.

Jordi Alba is up there, I think his defending is underrated and attacking contribution since Neymar left has been back up to his best, but he's not dominated a game like Mendy did yesterday for years, and he's not got the crossing ability or physicality.
Good post. Horses for courses. I guess. Marcelo is indeed a good defender but not in the same league as Mendy when it comes to attacking.

I love the tactical flexibility he offers. Can see him and KDB playing wide, just in front of a back 3. He really offers another dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.