#22 | Benjamin Mendy - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Stones can come back then Mendy can, last night was a decent enough performance. With our next run of games unfortunately I dont see Pep giving him a run as he can't take any risks which I get but hopefully into March we will rotate Zinchenko and Mendy more. Cancelo and Walker to focus on battling for RB.

If Stones can come back then Mendy can, last night was a decent enough performance. With our next run of games unfortunately I dont see Pep giving him a run as he can't take any risks which I get but hopefully into March we will rotate Zinchenko and Mendy more. Cancelo and Walker to focus on battling for RB.

I'm not convinced about this. I feel like Mendy has more "obstacles" to overcome than Stones. Both i'n terms of footballing intelligence and effort.

I'm not convinced about this. I feel like Mendy has more "obstacles" to overcome than Stones. Both i'n terms of footballing intelligence and effort.

One of the biggest myths around Mendy that exists on here is that he lacks football intelligence.

You simply don't thrive under Bielsa and get picked out by Pep if you lack football intelligence.

These are 2 of the most intellectually demanding managers in the world and both love Mendy.

Think you have to be fair and I thought he looked surprisingly sharp and a yard quicker. It’s obviously baby steps but let’s hope for better things to come.

He had a few niggles,but most of the issues that held Stones back were off the field/in his head.Mendy just cant stay fit,we are always waiting for his body to break down and the poor fucker cant build any momentum.

He had a few niggles,but most of the issues that held Stones back were off the field/in his head.Mendy just cant stay fit,we are always waiting for his body to break down and the poor fucker cant build any momentum.
There may be some self inflicted collateral damage with Pp with his off field behaviour, although that doesn't seem to be as prevalent

Mendy has only had 2 small injuries since November 2019.

He missed 4 weeks in Jan/Feb 2020 and 4 weeks in Oct 2020, and if we're really stretching, a week in July. The other 56 weeks since he returned from his last knee injury he's been fit.

He's missed 16 of our last 88 games from injury.

Injuries stopped being the problem a while ago.

Last edited:
Mendy has only had 2 small injuries since November 2019.

He missed 4 weeks in Jan/Feb 2020 and 4 weeks in Oct 2020, and if we're really stretching, a week in July. The other 56 weeks since he returned from his last knee injury he's been fit.

He's missed 16 of our last 88 games from injury.

Injuries stopped being the problem a while ago.
Even if that correct its two and a half months within 14 and spread over that period,add in the psychological factor and it must surely be a huge reason he has struggled to achieve his best.

We have seen him play brilliantly,we know it isnt beyond him......so if not injury/fear of injury then what is the problem?

Problem for him is I just don't see an opportunity for him in the coming weeks, following his solid performance on Wednesday. Maybe Everton in the cup? Even that's doubtful, knowing Pep likes to go full force in the latter stages of cup games.

Otherwise some huge games coming up, while Zinchenko obviously being first-choice, I'd think Pep would prefer Cancelo or Laporte es stand-in to him for the time being as that would still allow a more stable back four given our options elsewhere (Walker as RB and our CB duo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.