#22 | Benjamin Mendy - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our record with Mendy this season:

P18 W13 D2 L3 F43 (including 2 from him, one was that cracker at Leicester the other week) A16 GD+27
Leicester and Leeds away are the only two times I think he's really let himself down. Other than that he's been alright this season. He's had a few really conservative games but he's also had a few where he really looks the part.

He's a curious player, because I have maintained for a long time that if he somehow gets back to his best then he's be a top left back, and I think the club feel that way too. But everything's so stop start with him you never know if he's ever going to get there.

On the point I'm assuming you're making, it does wind me up seeing some posts suggesting it's an automatic loss if he plays.

I would keep Mendy for another season.

The worst thing that could happen that he will be our 2nd/3rd choice LB.

The team is well covered at LB with Zinchenko, Cancelo , Mendy & Ake who could play there.

Let Mendy & Zinchenko compete for the 1st spot & Cancelo or Ake used as emergency LB .

He put in a creditable performance and put in some quality balls going forward. Not least the assist for Sergio. But sorry, he'll never be back to his best. What's very striking is that in defence, if he loses the ball, that's it. He simply has no acceleration to go after the player and get a block in. The difference with Walker on the other side is glaring. Kyle makes some stupid blunders — who doesn't? — but he often has the speed to recover from them. Not getting on Mendy's case, and congrats for yesterday's performance. Just calling it as I see it. I'm sure his injuries have ruined what might have been a spectacular career. When he first arrived, he was going outside his marker and beating him for fun, then cutting fizzing balls back from the byline. I just don't believe we'll ever see that again.

He did well yesterday,he looked hungry and capable,he's still a very useful player for the 'lesser' games.

The problem will always be the next injury.

He did well yesterday,he looked hungry and capable,he's still a very useful player for the 'lesser' games.

He indeed had a great game.

Trouble is, his great games are now an aberration - usually he's simply horrible.

I hope we can sell him next window.

Problem is that he has become so slow and is always targeted as he’s can be a clear weak link in some games, which we don’t have many. Townsend looked like he was gonna get around Mendy each time. Offensively, no complaints though, and great pass to Kun. Seems more focused now and I hope he can keep on contributing.

Still can contribute this season but going forward we should move him on.
The thing is he always comes back towards the end of the season, plays 4-5 dead games, performs well and instills a belief that old Mendy is back.

As much as I love this guy, its time to move on and get a proper left back. No point in having any weakness in the team when we can just crush it in all areas.

Not sure about the lesser games, he has the ability to create chances over & over again.

And regarding his injury, I am not sure if his record is worse than Gundogan's record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.