#22 | Benjamin Mendy - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing he has to cut out is stepping out and let his man easily go past him...

Couldn't count how often he did that last night. Horrible.

Not really used as an attacking threat as generally there was no one in the box to be on the end of one of his whipped deliveries, but he linked up pretty well with Sterling. The whole squad needs time to get match fit before they're assessed. He's come off the back of more injury and inconsistency and Traore is one of the toughest opponents he will face due to his pace and power. He got tight and held him up but was often the wrong side of him and left exposed. A good first game in terms of lessons to learn at least. Let's hope he stays fit and improves.

Not really used as an attacking threat as generally there was no one in the box to be on the end of one of his whipped deliveries, but he linked up pretty well with Sterling. The whole squad needs time to get match fit before they're assessed. He's come off the back of more injury and inconsistency and Traore is one of the toughest opponents he will face due to his pace and power. He got tight and held him up but was often the wrong side of him and left exposed. A good first game in terms of lessons to learn at least. Let's hope he stays fit and improves.

I think benefit of doubt for now but this isn’t the first game he has looked vulnerable. I think it is last chance saloon for him this season and so he either shapes up or we ship him out. He looks too muscular for me to be a top defensive full back where quick recovery is often needed. I think if we address the CB issue with a strong signing, this position will yet again prove to be the weak link in the side.

Zabaleta used to get skinned by pace in some games and he was still a good fullback. It's a bigger picture thing.

There were lots of pieces of defending by Mendy that were good that went unnoticed.

Fucked over by a ref and his game management last night with that yellow card but that aside, he cant defend for fucking toffee.

Modern day attacking full back scenario and Peps tactics and dominance has a huge part to play but he literally can not defend.

Presumed he’d be getting a pasting from some on here so no surprise to read some comments.
He was beaten for pace by the quickest winger he’s likely to come up against in the second half after he, and several others dropped off the pace and no doubt the yellow played on his mind.
Overall though he contributed well to our transition from back to front and his first half performance was very positive.
He will always be a target for some fans and he will need to keep up his levels of the first half to cement his place going forward but I was happy with what he did last night. More than played his part in a very good win.

Zabaleta used to get skinned by pace in some games and he was still a good fullback. It's a bigger picture thing.

There were lots of pieces of defending by Mendy that were good that went unnoticed.

Yep, like forcing Traore into that rushed pass that led to our second goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.