#22 | Benjamin Mendy - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find a lot the comments in this thread completely baffling. You've got grown men saying they don't understand how hes a professional footballer and should retire? The comments have no link to the actual game, its clear that some people just want someone to blame. If your reaction to that game is that he should never wear a city shirt again then you've lost any sense of objectivity and are just lashing out for the sake of it.

He was the best player on the pitch for 30 minutes. He created our goal, by winning the ball and then going on a 50 yard run through the middile he had Leeds in all sorts of trouble and he defended really well.

The yellow card was a silly mistake, it was just a bit of overeagerness, and the miscontrol was a bit naive in such awful weather but it didn't actually cost us.

This was a promising game for him. He showed he still has a good level in him, now he just needs an extended run so he can build back up the concentration levels, the confidence and the match fitness necessary.

I genuinely think a lot of people who have posted in this thread are going to look like complete tits before Christmas.
People also often forgot that we didn't have any preseason. In normal schedule we would still be playing Shanghai Shenhua or whatever team in China or wherever at this stage. This is pretty much our preseason. In all of our games since the season started, our players have looked completely knackered by the 60th minute. They're not fit AND they can't be rotated cause of injury and/or Covid. Let's see how a team like Spurs would also fare without Son and Kane. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for the club but this is the current situation for our team and I feel like a little bit of perspective is needed at times like this.

He does
Again he is like mendy not a natural and has to concentrate but cant
What I’m saying is mendy rarely has a good game
We are happy when he has an average game
Can you please find me any defenders that don't make any defensive mistake? That's like trying to find a forward that doesn't miss any chances. It just doesn't exist. Defensive mistakes are part of the game, without any defensive mistakes by the opposition we would score 0 goals. Mendy isn't in good form currently (though he's getting better), but guys come on he's not the worst LB you've ever seen. Let's get the hyperboles out of the way. I can bet you had Cancelo not been injured he would've started over Walker because he's also out of form and knackered.

The scapegoating here is insane. Mendy had a MUCH better game than Walker offensively. Defensively he made 1 mistake. On the other side Walker was caught ball watching one time and a Leeds player got a free header that he headed too hard. That was just as bad of a chance to concede, but nobody’s calling for Walker’s head in his thread. Yes he was shit against Leicester, then he got better against Burnley. Last night he was very good apart from the 1 mistake he did. He skinned Helder Costa at least 5 times by my count. Defensively not perfect of course but he could still improve. We have to give credit where it’s due. FFS this forum will be the death of me someday, we have to replace half our team apparently. Good thing Gundogan and Jesus are out because they’d be in your shit list too.
Mendy is as good, if not better than Walker most games but for some reason Walker is practically untouchable on here. It beggars belief how differently they are treated by fans, one is labelled as one of our worst ever buys and the other one of the best full backs in the world. Neither on current form are good enough and our mediocre full backs are one of the main reasons we look a shadow of our former selves. I at least have some sympathy for Mendy, as injuries have robbed him of his best attributes and now what’s left, is a guy who tries his best but he just can’t get to the levels he was previously capable of. I have no fucking idea what Walkers excuses are.

Can you please find me any defenders that don't make any defensive mistake? That's like trying to find a forward that doesn't miss any chances. It just doesn't exist. Defensive mistakes are part of the game, without any defensive mistakes by the opposition we would score 0 goals. Mendy isn't in good form currently (though he's getting better), but guys come on he's not the worst LB you've ever seen. Let's get the hyperboles out of the way. I can bet you had Cancelo not been injured he would've started over Walker because he's also out of form and knackered.

Mendy has not been in ‘good form’ for over three years

Mendy is as good, if not better than Walker most games but for some reason Walker is practically untouchable on here. It beggars belief how differently they are treated by fans, one is labelled as one of our worst ever buys and the other one of the best full backs in the world. Neither on current form are good enough and our mediocre full backs are one of the main reasons we look a shadow of our former selves. I at least have some sympathy for Mendy, as injuries have robbed him of his best attributes and now what’s left, is a guy who tries his best but he just can’t get to the levels he was previously capable of. I have no fucking idea what Walkers excuses are.
Mendy offers nothing at all To this team
Walker for all his faults uses his pace up and down and makes the odd tackle, covers people.

Other teams now target Mendy, as they know it’s the way to get through.
If you can’t see this you are deluded

The yellow card was a silly mistake, it was just a bit of overeagerness, and the miscontrol was a bit naive in such awful weather but it didn't actually cost us.
The card was totally needless and while I agree Mendy had a decent first half going forward once he gets a yellow he becomes a defensive liability. Why else would Bielsa bring on a pacy but fairly average right winger like Poveda at HT, Mendy's loss of pace since the injuries has stripped him of his major asset in both the defensive and attacking phases.

Mendy offers nothing at all To this team
Walker for all his faults uses his pace up and down and makes the odd tackle, covers people.

Other teams now target Mendy, as they know it’s the way to get through.
If you can’t see this you are deluded
I’m not defending Mendy, I am highlighting how he and Walker are treated differently by fans despite both being equally as bad.

Leicester scored 5 against us and 3 of them came from Walkers side, with Walker being directly culpable for them getting back into a game we were dominating at the time. Leicester clearly hadn’t got the memo about attacking the useless Mendy instead of the world class Walker.

I’m not defending Mendy, I am highlighting how he and Walker are treated differently by fans despite both being equally as bad.

Leicester scored 5 against us and 3 of them came from Walkers side, with Walker being directly culpable for them getting back into a game we were dominating at the time. Leicester clearly hadn’t got the memo about attacking the useless Mendy instead of the world class Walker.
For what it’s worth I agree to a point with walker but like I say he can sometimes play well, whereas mendy never plays above ok
Our fullbacks in general never score and rarely assist
I think mendy is a bigger issue but walker is also one

I agree on your assessment between the 2. Walker has far too many lapses in concentration himself. He was in No Mans Land and out jumped by Allioski ffs.

Really ended up with the wrong Mendy us. Imagine it was Ferland instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.