Benjamin Mendy trial Are we allowed to comment on what's already reported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBlueBob

In the study at Herr Doktor Blau's Schloss
Team supported
Need you ask?
Thread title says it all really.

The trial has now started and the MEN are reporting on it. I know that this is sensitive so I shall refrain from comment until advised about any potential legal ramifications.

I won't even post a link yet just in case but I am quietly confident that a lot of people will be interested in this.

Mods, any general thoughts or advice for us all?

Reading this I think the answer is a definite no.

When the news media reports on trials, all that can be said or written is a blow by blow account of what is presented in court.
The one thing that is absolutely forbidden (and will likely end up with a contempt charge) is a media platform providing an opinion on the proceedings or on the reliability or otherwise of something presented as evidence. That’s why online forums stay away from allowing comment - it’s inevitable that posters will say what their personal thoughts on the case are.

The problem is, things would be fine if posters stuck to what's being said in court. But they wouldn't; the accusations would soon follow, "no smoke without fire", etc etc.
Cheers Jim. I wasn't sure, although as my caution suggests, I had an inkling.

Obviously you guys know best but maybe just delete the thread rather than end up in the mire.

I'll leave everyone who is interested to check it out for themselves.

Reading this I think the answer is a definite no.

Interesting, thankyou. Although I didn't read it all, I got enough to know not to say anything.

The problem is, things would be fine if posters stuck to what's being said in court. But they wouldn't; the accusations would soon follow, "no smoke without fire", etc etc.
Spot-on. It is very legally dangerous. One quote could literally stop the trial which would have huge implications for this Forum. In fact Bluemoon could be shut down by a judge easily. Clever defence lawyers are always looking for an advantage provided by prejudicial comments. The UK media themselves are limited to publishing only a fair, balanced, accurate, and contemperanous (published at the first opportunity not delayed) report of the court proceedings. Comments are risky as Gary Neville found out recently.

Spot-on. It is very legally dangerous. One quote could literally stop the trial which would have huge implications for this Forum. In fact Bluemoon could be shut down by a judge easily. Clever defence lawyers are always looking for an advantage provided by prejudicial comments. The UK media themselves are limited to publishing only a fair, balanced, accurate, and contemperanous (published at the first opportunity not delayed) report of the court proceedings. Comments are risky as Gary Neville found out recently.
So potentially, albeit at a high cost, we could get Ben off the hook. ;-)

I'm joking obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.