Bernado Silva misconduct charge: one game ban, £50k fine

My brother's currently over in Valencia and has commented on how prevalent Conguitos are over there, like they're everywhere. Says it feels like less of a deal when you see just how popular a sweet they are over there. Still think it was naive of Bernardo but it's been blown way out of proportion.

The logo was designed that way because at the time of the launch coincided with Congolese independence, when some extreme left wing liberal professor was trying to make a big fuss in Spain about it being offensive to the Congolese whom its based on years ago the prime minister of Congo actually supported the company and said their was nothing offensive and its just a humorous picture.

No one is ever going to look exactly like a cartoon character, and there was enough similarity in the tweet compared to say this article

https://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/gallery/cartoon-politician-lookalikes-3002760

No one was remotely offended by this, but they were all white and politicians so fair game for a piss take

So he didn't offend the lad he sent it to. But, he has offended the middle aged white men who make the rules. Also a multitude of faceless nameless easy offendables.

I am in Spain at present , people are finding it difficult to comprehend how this has occurred in England. I keep telling them it is not the Country it was.

The FA have a set of guidelines as to what is acceptable. Our guidelines are clearly far more strict than other countries - I'm okay with that, and the players should know what is acceptable.
The tweet could be considered to have breached them, so he's been charged with a potential breach. We'll see at some point what the outcome is.

I still believe that in 2019 the FA have no choice than to bring the charge - having a panel (whoever they are) in front of Bernardo is much better than an anonymous judgement being made on whether something is or isn't insulting.

The FA have a set of guidelines as to what is acceptable. Our guidelines are clearly far more strict than other countries - I'm okay with that, and the players should know what is acceptable.
The tweet could be considered to have breached them, so he's been charged with a potential breach. We'll see at some point what the outcome is.

I still believe that in 2019 the FA have no choice than to bring the charge - having a panel (whoever they are) in front of Bernardo is much better than an anonymous judgement being made on whether something is or isn't insulting.

I agree with everything you say. Two points though, firstly it is not unheard of for the FA to ignore their own very strict guidelines. Secondly if bernados Twitter is an offence worthy of a ban, that is a very low bar , a polar opposite to the very high bar where it seems knee high leg breakers do not get a one match ban.
In my opinion the FA are a highly politicized mob, offering nothing but lip service to the real issues of racism. They were hardly supportative when our players were racially abused, both at first team and youth level.

As I posted yesterday, and another poster mentioned today the preponderance of Chinguitos on the Iberian peninsula and the images which promote them, makes the whole issue a little surreal.

When is this actually going to be resolved?
Last BBC report said:

"Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva has been given an extension until 21 October to respond to a Football Association charge over a tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy."

Last BBC report said:

"Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva has been given an extension until 21 October to respond to a Football Association charge over a tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy."

Cheers it's been going on forever.

I agree with everything you say. Two points though, firstly it is not unheard of for the FA to ignore their own very strict guidelines. Secondly if bernados Twitter is an offence worthy of a ban, that is a very low bar , a polar opposite to the very high bar where it seems knee high leg breakers do not get a one match ban.
In my opinion the FA are a highly politicized mob, offering nothing but lip service to the real issues of racism. They were hardly supportative when our players were racially abused, both at first team and youth level.

As I posted yesterday, and another poster mentioned today the preponderance of Chinguitos on the Iberian peninsula and the images which promote them, makes the whole issue a little surreal.

All possible, I agree.
Ignoring their own guidelines would likely get it challenged.
I think on-field and off-field is a bad pair to compare. Off- is clear cut in its appearance. On- runs into re-reffing issues. The problem is that dealing with the onfield stuff is crap!
Political motives - it can be, but some of that is because they get pressured to do so, and know that whichever answer they come to, some bunch or other will rant about it. I think some of the stuff is hamstrung by regulations and what they allow.

The common presence of the snack is an interesting argument that I am sure will be made at the hearing. It doesn't mean that the tweet did not breach the English regs, and that's the only thing this should be judged on.

The common presence of the snack is an interesting argument that I am sure will be made at the hearing. It doesn't mean that the tweet did not breach the English regs, and that's the only thing this should be judged on.

But that doesn't happen for other cultural or religious acts. The UK is forever bending over to accomadate things culturally out of the UK "norm" why not in this case?

But that doesn't happen for other cultural or religious acts. The UK is forever bending over to accomadate things culturally out of the UK "norm" why not in this case?
I believe the Koran says you can kill Christians and Jews. Says you can also smack your wife ( not sure if dogging is allowed ). Point is, how far can the football authorities go with this ?

I think that's a different issue really.
The FA have regulations which all players are subject to. The only question to start with that matters is "did the act breach those regs". The FA clearly think it did, or at least has enough potential to have done so - I can see that argument based on the image itself.
The next question is to review and take submissions at the hearing. The FA could accept the context and throw out the 'aggravated' charge (the racist content part) or limit any penalty stemming from it. I think he'll get a fine, as I think he has breached the basic reg; I think the arguments/context should be enough to dismiss the aggravated part.

Whether the UK have gone too far with these things is far more complicated, and would be something for Off Topic! There isn't a clear cut line though; black rappers use the N word a fair amount, but if a footballer did it, he'd be suspended for ages - that's a colloquialism out of context similar to the tweet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.