Bernardo penalty debate - no case to answer.

I was thinking this with Kane's goal yesterday. He was fouled and still managed to score. But I guarantee that if he'd stayed on his feet and missed, the referee wouldn't have brought it back for a penalty. Players are told to go down because they won't get a penalty if they don't, even if they deserve one. So that creates this massive grey area where pretty much everyone now goes down easily. But there are also so many cases where the player is falling over long before the contact and it's justified because "there's contact." Nowhere in the rules is the word "contact" mentioned. The rules say that a player has to be tripped.

No they don’t.
He doesn’t have to be touched.
A penalty can be given in the rules for attempting a foul.

See law 12

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

The ex-pros, pundits, and presenters are apt to import wholly irrelevant notions when discussing whether a pen was a pen or not. They mention that there was contact. Well, what kind of game would it be it players had to avoid contact and football became a non-contact sport? They twist every aspect of a ball hitting a hand and one week they're shouting pen, and the next week they shouting no pen. It is not insignificant to clock which teams have pen shouted for them and which don't. The more the penalty affects the outcome the more blather you get from them. By the simplest application of what is written in the Laws of the Game Bernardo was fouled by the goalkeeper INSIDE the Burnley penalty area. What further discussion is necessary?

The laugh is that Dyche, Ragamuffins, every anti-City crusader would be atop the Town Hall roof shouting the odds at the very injustice had Ederson perpetrated that foul on a Burnley striker!

It's England mate, trust nobody to be honest around the FA or handpicked committee.
So, it seems that you think that the English FA are corrupt.

Who might notice this corruption I wonder... fans like you - responsible journalists - the club itself - law enforcement - etc.

So just how far do you think that the corruption runs?

I've yet to see any articles claiming corruption in the English FA.
=====
Is FIFA corrupt - hell yes - but there's all sorts of press articles on this. And indeed, the USA (God knows why it took the USA to intervene) - got fucking Sepp Blatter out of office.
=====
And in recent years, the Italian football officials have been convicted of corruption.
======
So - yes, in this context, the English FA may be corrupt - but, in stark contrast to Sepp or the Italian situation - there's no reputable press backing that assertion.

Last edited:

Plus Phil Neville and Jenas said it was a penalty on MOTD. Plenty more have also said it was a penalty.

Pope rushes out makes contact and forces Bernardo's ankle into eversion/pronation, we're lucky he's not injured. At worst he exaggerates his fall but it was still a penalty and we've seen what happens if you're honest and try to stay on your feet; Sterling pen not given vs Spurs last season, Jay Rodriguez not given a pen vs Arsenal the other week etc...

The unfortunate thing in football these days, even with the surreptitious, glancing by the fourth official at a monitor that isn't supposed to be going on, unless a player 'goes to ground' the likelihood is that the penalty will not be given. You have to be cleaned out totally these days unless the defender catches the ball on the line and keeps hold of it! I've said more than once that players like Tevez and Aguero will attempt to stay on their feet because they want the genuine goal, they want to score an outfield goal but yer never gonna get a penalty if someone comes in and starts tapping yer ankle, and not doing a complete job on it and sending you tumbling.

And where were the refs when defenders at corners adopted WWF and rugby laws? They have been complicit in delivering the game as far as applying the Laws are concerned into a pretty dreadful state. And I can't see the way they are gonna use VAR as being the saviour that delivers any accuracy and fairness to the game.

It really makes me laugh that when pens have an 'iffiness' about them the RagDipperArseHaringayMeedya are up in arms and the Farce institute a committee to look into 'simulation'! Funny how it never happened when FakeRon and other Rag acolytes such as Ash the Crash were doing it on a regular basis, AND getting a fellow professional sent off into the bargain.

I don't remember Sean Dyche coming out all moralistic about the state of the game then!

Graham Poll just said it's a 'modern' penalty, his ankle was trapped and he did a modern exaggeration

Don’t even understand peoPle that say it was a exaggerated. Just how is a player meant to fall when their ankles trapped? I don’t get it.

I get the impression that the accusations of diving come from well after the event. Sean Dyche made his rather humorous accusations, on MotD Motty thought "he made a lot of that " and Phil Chuckle suggested strongly that it was a dive. It's now apparently proven. No one is interested in the small matter that the ref had a very good view of the incident, took a moment to think and then hardly hesitated in giving the penalty. He was much the nearest objective witness. But his view is of no importance apparently in this case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.