#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only downside of his game is his goal/ assist ratio. I don‘t know he is basically no threat in front of goal.

Not always the best way to judge a CM. We’ve been spoilt by KDBs numbers in recent years.

Go and check out Iniesta’s goals/assists ratio for Barca down the years...

A proper selfless performance from Bernardo. Was there to sacrifice his own game and work for the team performance.

Covered so much ground (almost 12k, which is incredibly high for a forward, that would be well above average for a midfielder!) with a lot of high intensity sprints in there to close down space. His fitness must be incredible.

A very unsung performance that won’t get many plaudits, but he seriously deserves them... brilliant!

Only downside of his game is his goal/ assist ratio. I don‘t know he is basically no threat in front of goal.
Don’t forget, there’s no striker in this team.

Also, he’s being used in these kind of games as a rabbit catcher more than a footballer.

I think last night showed why certain people were a bit silly to lose faith in him. Early on he looked a bit lost but his work rate is absolutely brilliant and his anticipation when closing down in the final third is second to none.

He's a true team player but with the individual ability to stand out on his own.

I think I prefer him further forward than KDB to close down up front with his energy, this allows KDB to drop slightly deeper to pick up the ball. He’s one of the first on my team sheet with Foden just for the energy he brings.

I think last night showed why certain people were a bit silly to lose faith in him. Early on he looked a bit lost but his work rate is absolutely brilliant and his anticipation when closing down in the final third is second to none.

He's a true team player but with the individual ability to stand out on his own.
I agree.

I think as a general point, people should relax a bit and understand that anyone in the City team is there because they're good enough. If they weren't they'd be sold or loaned out if there were no takers.

I mean, here's a list of players off the top of my head that at some point since they arrived people have lost faith on and then later on went to showcase their class:

Ederson
Walker
Cancelo
Zinchenko
Stones
Laporte
Rodri
Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Gundogan
Bernardo
Mahrez
Sterling
Jesus
Aguero

Some players have been written off and bounced back on multiple occasions too!

Bernardo's a great example of playing the patient card too. Because his run of generally weaker performances lasted longer than most, but he's really bounced back strong too!

I think as he's been playing in this double false 9 with Kev, Pep loves the pressing he does up front, even if he is a slower player.

I do wonder though, what if he and Gundogan swapped places?

The control from deeper in the midfield is retained, but giving Gundogan more opportunities as the double false 9 perhaps suits him better, as it seems a little lacking from Bernie.

I think I prefer him further forward than KDB to close down up front with his energy, this allows KDB to drop slightly deeper to pick up the ball. He’s one of the first on my team sheet with Foden just for the energy he brings.
Yep but Debruyne isn't that good in picking up the ball and distributing - during the high press.

That's what Pep was talking about in December or January when people were asking him about the difference between Debruyne and Bernardo..

Otherwise - Bernardo wouldn't be playing - because as a False9 Pep could have used Sterling, Mahrez or even Jesus to but right now possessing the ball during the high press and controlling the tempo - without fast passes and movements or long balls is vital against PSG..

Because you can't play in a high tempo against Mbappe and Neymar, you need to control the game, possess the ball, make small passes, small movements and attack only when it's well-prepared.

And Bernardo is the only midfielder - who is good in a small tempo as well. Debruyne and Gundogan often struggle in that term, they need high tempo and spaces and speed to show their best game..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.