#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One interesting thing I noticed last night was that Bernardo, rather than a centre back or full back, was pretty much always the very first City player to engage and press/challenge Adama Traore when he got the ball. He would then be supported by Walker/Cancelo/Rodri or Dias if he didn’t immediately win it back. I have no idea how Pep or possibly Lillo came up with this plan as it looks a physical mismatch on paper but it worked a treat, pretty close to perfection. Proper 4D Chess stuff

I noticed that too. I think Bernardo’s tenacity and agility were used to quickly force Traore into traffic before he could get up to speed. He was like border collie herding Traore into the pen. Very clever tactical ploy

One interesting thing I noticed last night was that Bernardo, rather than a centre back or full back, was pretty much always the very first City player to engage and press/challenge Adama Traore when he got the ball. He would then be supported by Walker/Cancelo/Rodri or Dias if he didn’t immediately win it back. I have no idea how Pep or possibly Lillo came up with this plan as it looks a physical mismatch on paper but it worked a treat, pretty close to perfection. Proper 4D Chess stuff
Good spot, it's a big change in pressing this season.

Our forwards press differently, they're now far more preoccupied with blocking off passes than tackling to win the ball back immediately.

Our defenders drop deep, to prevent space in behind being exploited by fast transitions. They serve as sweepers.

Our midfielders are the defensive workhorses. These are the guys that press to win possession heavily. Bernardo, De Bruyne, and Rodri in particular (Foden and Jesus put up good numbers too but they play like mad dogs anyhow; they tackle less than last season though).

Normally we try and funnel opposition players into certain areas and swarm them in big numbers or make them boot it away so we can restart attacks in our own time. The upside in a way is lower than a team that gegenpresses as we can't launch as many counter attacks, but we're far more defensively secure and able to control possession this way.

So in relation to your post specifically, Bernardo is a very important part of our defensive pressing when in CM. And he did a great job on Traoré.

Good spot, it's a big change in pressing this season.

Our forwards press differently, they're now far more preoccupied with blocking off passes than tackling to win the ball back immediately.

Our defenders drop deep, to prevent space in behind being exploited by fast transitions. They serve as sweepers.

Our midfielders are the defensive workhorses. These are the guys that press to win possession heavily. Bernardo, De Bruyne, and Rodri in particular (Foden and Jesus put up good numbers too but they play like mad dogs anyhow; they tackle less than last season though).

Normally we try and funnel opposition players into certain areas and swarm them in big numbers or make them boot it away so we can restart attacks in our own time. The upside in a way is lower than a team that gegenpresses as we can't launch as many counter attacks, but we're far more defensively secure and able to control possession this way.

So in relation to your post specifically, Bernardo is a very important part of our defensive pressing when in CM. And he did a great job on Traoré.

You could see last night that Mahrez was constantly looking over his shoulder when going to press to see where opponents were, presumably to position himself to close the passing lane.

I think Bernie's been our most underrated player by far this season to date.

Really going under the radar and seeing little praise, which is being directed mostly to the backline and Gundogan.

Is there another player like Bernardo? I'd love to think that we'll sign one soon so that we have a backup for him.

He's the first name I look for on the teamsheet. My POTY so far.

Love his attitude and approach to the game and the fact that he hates the dippers is the cherry on top;). Anyone know when his contract is up? I hope the racist lies do not stop him from resigning.

Love his attitude and approach to the game and the fact that he hates the dippers is the cherry on top;). Anyone know when his contract is up? I hope the racist lies do not stop him from resigning.
4 seasons left after this one which takes him nearly to 32, wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.