#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure that's to blame. He needed a regular run of games in his best position. That didn't happen until KDB was injured.

Don't like this argument at all. We signed him to play RW and there's no good reason why he should be so ineffective there. If he can only perform in midfield, where we've already got Kevin and Gundogan, there's a problem.

Don't like this argument at all. We signed him to play RW and there's no good reason why he should be so ineffective there. If he can only perform in midfield, where we've already got Kevin and Gundogan, there's a problem.
One thing he hasn’t got is pace. It’s very difficult to play out wide when one footed and without a turn of pace. He’ll graft as always and do a job out there but is completely wasted and not a big goal scorer. He’s shown how good he can be when given an extended run in midfield.

He can play out on the rw but its a waste.

I thought he was signed to replace Merlin too, but had to play out wide whilst he waited.
I think playing any midfielder out wide at the beginning has great benefits, they get to understand the system without being detrimental to it, we are seeing it with phil, he will stay wider until he is ready to take on the role of running the game for us, that will come with games and experience, we saw it with Henry at arsenal, Bernardo in a red shirt would be lauded to the stars and back

Bernardo doesn't have the sophistication in his play to be a David Silva heir. That's not a knock on Bernardo, but there is a lack of appreciation to just how intelligent David was with his play. He was one of the great Spanish midfielders of the greatest Spanish generation. His movement was unbelievable (when he 1st arrived virtually every MOTD segment was dedicated to his ability to find space in between lines), his reading of the play was outstanding, his ability to control tempo from high up the pitch was almost unmatched in world football, and his creativity was superb too.

Bernardo lacks those things sadly. What Bernardo does have I'd argue, is a better left foot than David. He's a better dribbler, a better shooter, and a better crosser, with an even better 1st touch than David too. And David excelled on all those fronts, which tells you how good Bernardo is. He's got incredibly energy, a brilliant work ethic, is a phenomenal presser and defender, and he still has time to get even better!

They have similarities for sure. Real standout ones too. But really they're different players. Which is ok, because Bernardo is so good in his own way we don't really lose anything from it.

Foden has more potential as a David Silva like-for-like. But then he's so good as a direct attacker he may be moulded differently altogether.

Another thing, Bernardo can play on the wing to a high level. He did it at Monaco, he did it for us in 18/19 plenty of times, and he's done it for Portugal too. I agree he's better centrally, but he's still got potential to be a great asset out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.