#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only ways to fit all 3 of them (Gundogan, Bernie, KdB) AND a striker like Haaland is to

1) Play him as a winger, but I think that neutralizes some of his strengths and Mahrez is better here, so I don't like this option.

2) Play him as a DM, but I think Rodri is better here due to his aerial presence and physicality.

3) Play 3421, and pair him with Rodri, basically this means he takes Cancelo's role when he plays next to Rodri. We have actually seen this in the Fulham game when Pep played Jesus, Aguero, Ferran up top, with Rodri and Bernie in the midfield. This path means we lose Cancelo's creativity, but is better than previous 2 imo.

Otherwise, false 9 is the only way to accomodate all 3, but then that means no Haaland.

Luckily rotation has to happen anyways, so I don't think its a big deal.
Let’s not forget age. Gundo is coming into his twilight, Bernie is still very young and versatile. There’s not only room for both today, but an opportunity for one tomorrow.

Thought he pressed and stopped passes forward happening the whole time he was on the pitch really well and was unfortunate to come off.

Was surprised he came off yesterday. Pressed well, kept the ball under pressure well and always found a blue shirt.

Might not always do that "brilliant" thing that steals the headlines, but always offers a lot of control and discipline which is vital in the CL knockouts.

I thought Pep might look to take Mahrez off, who was puffing big time from 70mins and not pressing as well. But we got the win, so not judging him!

Was surprised he came off yesterday. Pressed well, kept the ball under pressure well and always found a blue shirt.

Might not always do that "brilliant" thing that steals the headlines, but always offers a lot of control and discipline which is vital in the CL knockouts.

I thought Pep might look to take Mahrez off, who was puffing big time from 70mins and not pressing as well. But we got the win, so not judging him!
Think it was out of him and Gundo and whilst Bernie covers the ground better I suppose Gundo’s extra goal threat won out. Worked out quite well anyway with Gundo getting the assist. Think we need to forget BernIe as a wide forward in the main. If Mahrez was to be subbed then it would be for Sterling. Thought both wide men were very good last night again.

Largely ineffective tonight and disappointing performance. He is such a talented player but in these big games he poses little or no threat. He is neat and tidy but compared to KDB and now Foden we very rarely see him contribute with assists and goals any more. Sadly, he is just not doing it and, for me, should not start in the second leg.

This just about sums up last nights show. Lack of pace is his biggest obstacle. Better off the bench away for the last 30 minutes to keep the pressure on.

I agreed with the false 9 but its throws up a huge conundrum. The false 9 works better when kev is the further forward and bernardo occupies the RM spot. But Kev is back in form and so do you move him?

We really missed Bernardos energy and running from a deeper position as Dortmund had the legs to overrun Rodri and Gundogan and Kev wasnt as deep.

I love his energy, he covers alot of space in 90 mins.

But I prefer it deeper, when we press in our 442, the front 2 need to be quicker imo for it to be more effective.

When Jesus came on, he complemented KdB's speed of pressing better, and if it was Sterling, the speed would be even better.

Looked little knackered yesterday, needs rest.
Reading through the threads here though, everyone needs a rest in midfield according to people. :) I'd say because Bernardo didn't play against Leicester and was subbed off on Tuesday, he is a definite starter on Saturday. I know he played all of Portugal's games but you don't want to risk KdB at the weekend, which leaves you basically with Fernandinho and either Rodri or Gundogan (or even them two sharing one half each). Or Zinchenko next to Ferna, which would give Mendy another shout but of this I'm sceptical.

I love him in midfield in the more energy focused, win the ball back, cover fullbacks role. But when asked/has an opportunity to get forward and create, he just hasn't got it in the locker(I know he assisted Torres). Zinckenko and Dinho both created over twice as many chances as him and he's supposed to be the attacking one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.