Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
What she is saying is "You must be offended by X but you cannot be offended by Y". I disagree with her on this sweeping statement. Why don't we make up a set of rules so we all know what we can be offended by and what we can't? Would make everything much simpler.

Not at all what she is saying. not in the slightest.

One character was based on stereotypes historically used to degrade and insult, the other was not. Of course, everyone has the right to read what they want into either.

As i've said before, and as the article highlights as well, i dont think anybody really thinks silva intended the connotations or was even aware of them. They are still implied though, and some folk may well find that offensive should they so chose. It is absolutely fine for mendy and probably many who no longer see outdated stereotypes in things. But it doesnt belong on a public platform.

The main point to take away though from the article, that i agree with, is that the FA are making a big show over something relatively trivial, to distract from lack of action of bigger issues.

th

I am not offended by this so why are black people offended by the black character?

It looks a bit like Alan Shearer but I bet no one would moan if he was compared.

The thought police, the BBC, the FA , Kick it out and others are barking up the wrong tree here and should be looking where there is a problem.

th

I am not offended by this so why are black people offended by the black character?

It looks a bit like Alan Shearer but I bet no one would moan if he was compared.

The thought police, the BBC, the FA , Kick it out and others are barking up the wrong tree here and should be looking where there is a problem.
Red lips on a white character?. What's the World coming to. Oh the offence.

th

Looks like Paul Scholes.

Not at all what she is saying. not in the slightest.

One character was based on stereotypes historically used to degrade and insult, the other was not. Of course, everyone has the right to read what they want into either.

As i've said before, and as the article highlights as well, i dont think anybody really thinks silva intended the connotations or was even aware of them. They are still implied though, and some folk may well find that offensive should they so chose. It is absolutely fine for mendy and probably many who no longer see outdated stereotypes in things. But it doesnt belong on a public platform.

The main point to take away though from the article, that i agree with, is that the FA are making a big show over something relatively trivial, to distract from lack of action of bigger issues.

I think the problem doesn't lie with Bernardo intended the connotations or being aware of them, I think the problem lies with the ones who feel offended and are unable to read the context in which it was written. Making this the big issue it has become, it will not help the fight vs racism and for me, that is the truly sad part of this all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.