Bernstein/Keegan Split

Vuoso is the fourth highest fee on that list yet never played. Does anybody know why he never got on the field? His record elsewhere, albeit in totally different leagues, suggests he was a capable player.

As for Anelka - I'm amazed we ever got him? His previous clubs at this point were PSG, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Liverpool, and now here he was, at the age of 23, signing for a team that had just been promoted. How on earth did we pull that one off?

And it does seem as if we got the best out of him - his 37 league goals was only bettered by the 38 he scored for Chelsea (but played 39 more games). He scored 24 goals in all comps in 2003/04 at a ratio better than a goal every other game. He only scored more goals once (08/09 - 25) with Chelsea, but at a higher games per goal ratio.

I know Sibierski wasn't great but when you look at his fee compared to some of those others, you could say we got a real bargain there.
I saw Vuoso play once and only once in a Manchester Senior Cup game at Oldham....worst player on the pitch & 90% of our team were youth players.

Last edited:
I saw some poor lad getting pellets on twatter for trying to auction a match worn Danny Mills shirt yesterday.

What; the ones you use in air rifles, or the ones you put in those wood burning stoves? Either one would be a fair swap for a Danny Mills shirt!

#pelters
I ducking hate Danny Mills. Hated him at Leeds, hated him at City, thought his reaction to Henry and Pires was small time (if they’d scored that, it’s a great goal and one Cruyff never gets slated for), hated his performances when fit, hated him sitting on the bench and creaming money from us and hate him as a pundit now

I saw Vuoso play once and only once in a Manchester Senior Cup game at Oldham....worst player on the pitch & 90% of our team were youth players.
Was that the game when his brother turned up and played instead?
Not sure if that is an urban myth or if it genuinely happened

True that, our spending across 02/03 and 03/04:

Bischoff - £700k.
Distin - £4m.
Loran - Undisclosed.
Vuoso - £3.5m.
Anelka - £13m.
Schmeichel - Free.
Kerkar - Free.
Belmadi - Loan.
Sommeil - £3.5m.
Fowler - £6m.
Seaman - Free.
Tarnat - Free.
Sinclair - £2.5m.
Sibierski - £700k.
Reyna - £2.5m.
McManaman - Free.

Total - £36.4m. So honestly, take the £19.5m spent on Anelka, Distin and Sinclair and do the same, you then had £17m to spend, which in those days given who other people were signing couldn't compete with the top 3 but we would have been fair game for anyone else. Missed opportunity, considering the likes of Okocha went for free.

Hardly a handful of good performances between the below:

Sommeil - £3.5m.
Fowler - £6m.
Seaman - Free.
Tarnat - Free.
Sinclair - £2.5m.
Sibierski - £700k.
Reyna - £2.5m.
McManaman - Free.

Maine Road Keegan signings did the business in the main, Eastlands signings were largely shite!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.