Bert Trautmann

Didn’t realise at the time but he passed away on my birthday.

Not long before saw him sat alone on a bench outside Villarreal's ground when we played them, wasn't going to miss that opportunity had a long chat with him which he seemed really made up with. One of my Dads heroes a true legend of our club.
He had a fair few fans around him after the match. I was running past him every few minutes getting fans on the coaches. He must of thought what's that tit up to in this heat.

Made me think, is there any City player whose story we know so well or enjoy telling or care so much about? There are some good ones, sure, but for me no one comes close, probably because Bert's story goes beyond football and because he forged a link with the people of Manchester where there was love on both sides.

I think that's right. It's a fascinating story in itself, even if he hadn't been a very successful footballer. It's not often that you get a sportsman (or an artist; still less a politician) who builds bridges across communities. Apparently even the Jewish community in Manchester accepted him.

Not wild about statues of living players, at all, or even stands being named. But I really think if any other stand at the Etihad were to be named, it should definitely be the Trautmann stand. Probably opposite the Bell stand would be best.

Had the pleasure of seeing him play. One particular match at Spurs ground. He was sensational that day. Saw again that season at Chelsea. When the City bus arrived, I was waiting to see the players with my Uncle. I had my City colours on and when Bert came off the coach he patted my head. I will never forget that moment. My hero.

Remember my dad going on about frank Swift and Bert Trautmann,always mentioned City always had a great knack of having good keepers and with these 2 being right up there as the best in their era,also talked about Bert not playing for Germany as he settled in England and not returning home,an absolute travesty,my dad saw both play at Maine road as he went to the games while he was in the merchant Navy and were based around Manchester or just outside apparently,although not totally clued up on this ..oh my dad always had a soft spot for City even though his team was Chelsea..opps sorry for derailing the thread slightly ..

He had a fair few fans around him after the match. I was running past him every few minutes getting fans on the coaches. He must of thought what's that tit up to in this heat.
Yep quite a few recognised him and gathered around after I'd been with him about 5 mins, then I had to do one for coach back to Benidorm :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.