Best CB combo in the CL?

alexmcity

Team supported
City
I like Garcia but throwing him against Real, Juve, Bayern, PSG...might not be the best idea. Too young, lacks both experience and physical attributes for that level.

So, who is the best option to partner Laporte?

Fernandinho? Not a CB and the same player anymore. Still, his experience might get him the nod over Garcia.

Stones? Potentially the best partner for Laporte but is going through a tough time mentally wise.

Otamendi? Has silly mistakes in him but is a fighter and did OK in Madrid.

Walker? Why not? Big, strong, utterly quick, has played for England at CB. I find it baffling that Pep never tried him there. Last night he wouldn't let Aubameyang score that 2nd goal. Has his major weaknesses like concentration lapses but I'd probably have him at CB rather than Garcia with Cancelo at RB.

Thoughts?

well the two in our best performance of the season madrid away were laporte and otamendi

would i trust that pairing on the 7th???

just posted that in another thread. It’s our strongest pairing and one we were missing last night.

Fernandinho and Laporte at least give us a chance in the CL.

Pep doesn't think so, or didn't before last night. Otherwise, he would have played Fernandinho at CB after the restart and let him build understanding with Laporte.

Unless Stones or Otamendi show class against Watford/ Norwich, chances are we are starting with Garcia at CB.

Last edited:
Laporte and Otamendi for me.
Our best combination when both players have their good days. We just have to hope both have one (not only Otamendi, Laporte is making mistakes Otamendi would be crucified for every game).

Another reasoning behind this is that I think every single one of our CBs is currently prone to making silly mistakes. Laporte and Otamendi both have attributes that you can still rely on them. Laporte is a good passer and Otamendi strong in air - so you at least have some kind of certainity with them.

Garcia and Laporte. Few players win a sprint with Aubameyang.

The question misses the point though. We were vulnerable to counter-attack because we started our two weakest off the ball midfielders: David Silva and Gundogan. And we don't have a Fernandinho replacement. Rodri is a good player but he isn't mobile. That is his weakness.

I think we need a central defender, a left back, and possibly a defensive midfielder because I am not convinced Rodri is mobile enough. We also have to replace Aguero soon. CAS was a life-saver. And those who 'petitioned' for David to stay, think on.

Mahrez has improved this season, and for me he was our only effective outfield player yesterday but the one thing he isn't great at is tracking back so we were very weak yesterday without the ball, and wide open to being counter-attacked. We have a limited ability to improve that aspect: Bernardo, and Foden are better simply because they are very mobile and very good at pressing.

Laporte and Otamendi for me.
Our best combination when both players have their good days. We just have to hope both have one (not only Otamendi, Laporte is making mistakes Otamendi would be crucified for every game).

Another reasoning behind this is that I think every single one of our CBs is currently prone to making silly mistakes. Laporte and Otamendi both have attributes that you can still rely on them. Laporte is a good passer and Otamendi strong in air - so you at least have some kind of certainity with them.
Ota is OK in the air but is too slow. I prefer Laporte and Garcia.

Garcia and Laporte. Few players win a sprint with Aubameyang.

The question misses the point though. We were vulnerable to counter-attack because we started our two weakest off the ball midfielders: David Silva and Gundogan. And we don't have a Fernandinho replacement. Rodri is a good player but he isn't mobile. That is his weakness.

I think we need a central defender, a left back, and possibly a defensive midfielder because I am not convinced Rodri is mobile enough. We also have to replace Aguero soon. CAS was a life-saver. And those who 'petitioned' for David to stay, think on.

Mahrez has improved this season, and for me he was our only effective outfield player yesterday but the one thing he isn't great at is tracking back so we were very weak yesterday without the ball, and wide open to being counter-attacked. We have a limited ability to improve that aspect: Bernardo, and Foden are better simply because they are very mobile and very good at pressing.

The question is about this CL season, not next. We have to cope with the available players.

Agree wrt the point about mobility but believe Rodri will come good. Pep didn't pick his best team yesterday, he wouldn't start with this team against Real, especially after David played 90 minutes against Bournemouth. Not playing your best team signals complacency and the players looked quite complacent in that first half.

I'm not convinced Garcia is the best available option to partner Laporte. Experience in crunch CL games is important. Garcia is very clever and mature for his age but intelligence is no substitute for experience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.