Best Club in the 80's

Anyone remember the stork club

Cyprus tavern aswell

I remember The Stork club. When we had run out of money at Applejacks my mate and me used to get in there free and get some free booze as we knew the owner, Des.

Did the Ritz have a bouncy dance floor or was it just me drinking too much.

This is weird, I was walking through town with my 17 years old son today and walked up Oxford Road station approach for coffee and pointed out The Ritz and told him about the springy floor. It was worryingly springy!! The Ritz would never let men in without a jacket so we would ask girls in the queue to borrow their's. We'd be okay then even though it was four sizes too small. Saw Simply Red in there before they were famous and they were awesome. [I know].

Agreed, memories fading fast lol but was it Pips that had a Bowie room and it was always rammed?

Yes Pips had a Bowie room and a Roxy room plus a punk room. Changed to Thursdays and then The Playground.

Anyway, already mentioned Applejacks. So Rotters, Fagins [Now Tesco on Oxford Street] and Brahms and Liszt which became my club of choice in my mid twenties as it was a bit chilled. My wife was a Pips girl and still has her membership card. Saturdays at The Brittania as well.

Last but not least and not mentioned yet, Smokies. I lived in Failsworth I would walk up Coal Pit Lane after another fruitless evening.

Great thread by the way pete1970 Loved reading these memories.

Edit, just seen above about The Amber club. Went in once. Just the once... :)

Venue is a great shout. They did beers for 50p on Wednesdays in the nineties and had cool coin shaped flyers. Think my teenage years basically revolved around getting stoned, taking/selling ecstasy/acid/shrooms, ritz on Monday, venue on Wednesday, rockword allnighter friday, match at the weekend usually, then same again. It was mint. Wouldn't change a thing but certainly wouldn't tell my kids to. Doubt they'd want to anyway. They teach kids about drugs and alcohol in school now.

Any Stockport lads remember The Blue Waterfall, went in during the 70s once because it had the word blue in it, rough as fuck but beer was cheapish

Venue is a great shout. They did beers for 50p on Wednesdays in the nineties and had cool coin shaped flyers. Think my teenage years basically revolved around getting stoned, taking/selling ecstasy/acid/shrooms, ritz on Monday, venue on Wednesday, rockword allnighter friday, match at the weekend usually, then same again. It was mint. Wouldn't change a thing but certainly wouldn't tell my kids to. Doubt they'd want to anyway. They teach kids about drugs and alcohol in school now.
Was that before your sex tourism?

Christ mate .... that was a real dive (also in it's previous incarnation as The Lantern) .... one of our mates was a regular, and often he'd come in our local (the nearby Robin Hood Inn on Droylsden Rd ... RIP) and be on orange juice. 'Pulled in the Amber again mate?' and he'd reply 'Yeah .... on antibiotics again too ...'

Tudor Lodge in Moston near the Gardener's Arms was similar ...

Remember both the Amber Club and the Tudor Lodge , some interesting nights spent in both .

Surprised no one has mentioned the John Bull in town , recall it being just behind the under ground market near " Stolen From Ivor " . Some good memories being revived with some of the places mentioned

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.