Best ever atmosphere you've experienced for a City home game

Ciry v Juventus, UEFA Cup 1976 I think , City won the first leg 1-0 , amazing atmosphere in the Kippax. Electric , anyone else there that night ?
Yeah I was there, was on crutches with a broken ankle, so had to go in the main stand with my dad. I used to wear round glasses sometimes, so had the nickname Curly, after Curly Watts. Saw him at the main stand bar at half time and told him he looked nothing like me, he looked at me as if I was mad, mind you I was wearing my contact lenses

The 5-1 was probably the best ever, given the circumstances, the bother and how we destroyed them in the first half in particular. Remember feeling elated but absolutely knackered at the end of the match as the day had absolutely everything.

At the Etihad, probably the 1-0 against United again - knowing that we had to beat them, Kompany’s header, the tension and then the support after the final whistle. I had big reservations about leaving Maine Road and it didn’t feel right for a long time at the new place, but after that night it definitely felt more like home.

One I had forgotten was 2 1 against Liverpool, not sure of the year. First home game of the season mid week, Peter Reid was manager. The game had everything a two goal lead as David White got a goal reminiscent of the 66 world Cup final. Liverpool got one back then missed a penalty. Last ten minutes like Rorkes Drift but we held on, Plate Lane packed with dippers but you couldn't hear them. The roof nearly came off the Kippax with the noise level and the place went mental at the end. I stick by my top three but this game was a very close 4th.

I've been on pretty much all the games mentioned, most were fantastic. I'm just a bit taken aback that anyone who was there, boxing day 1977 - the return of the king - could actually suggest any other game. The anticipation was absolutely amazing, tension building, hoping after hope this was the end of his dark tunnel and we might get 10mins. The rumours at HT he was coming back and then his re-emergence !!! Understated in the way only Colin could do but with the whole ground in tumult, never known a noise or atmosphere like it before and even since. (2012 comes next)
Dennis Tueart scored a hat-trick, didn't get his name sung.
All about the King. RIP great man.

One I had forgotten was 2 1 against Liverpool, not sure of the year. First home game of the season mid week, Peter Reid was manager. The game had everything a two goal lead as David White got a goal reminiscent of the 66 world Cup final. Liverpool got one back then missed a penalty. Last ten minutes like Rorkes Drift but we held on, Plate Lane packed with dippers but you couldn't hear them. The roof nearly came off the Kippax with the noise level and the place went mental at the end. I stick by my top three but this game was a very close 4th.
Wednesday night game a week before my birthday
Dean Saunders missed a penalty for them, funnily enough he missed one the season before at the same end (I think) for Derby, when we sent them down, Niall Quinn saved it!

The last derby at Maine Road. The 1-0 win against B'ham on a Friday night to (almost) get promoted, which was the only time i got on the pitch. The 1-0 against the rags in 2012 when Kompany scored. QPR apart from half an hour. And while I remember nothing of the match itself there was a Cup tie at home to Newcastle the year after the Trautmann final when the thousands of visiting Geordies sang the Blaydon Races, it went all around the ground, first time I'd experienced a crowd like that or heard actual singing during a match.

City v Liverpool 2-1 in 2019.

Absolutely crackling throughout.

Hostile like I hadn't seen or heard since 5-1 in 89.
This would be my Etihad choice, and the 5-1 in ‘85 being the Maine Road one.

Different stakes, different eras, different weather, different quality but both atmospheres incredible in their own right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.