Best performance by a visiting team

Bayblue

Given there might not be a lot of football to watch soon I thought a bit of reminiscing would be in order.

One question I’ve not seen asked recently is which have been the most impressive performances you’ve seen by a visiting team at Maine Rd or the Etihad?

Apologies if praising other teams seems a bit heretical but it’s only a game after all.

Two stick out for me:
1. April 82 at Maine Rd. We got absolutely smashed by the Liverpool side with Hansen, Dalglish and Rush in it. They won 5-0 but could have been many more. Ronnie Whelan was outstanding for them.

2. October 13 at the Etihad. Pep’s Bayern beat us 3-1. We had some self inflicted wounds that night but the way the Bayern team passed and moved that night was like watching pros play amateurs. Philip Lahm did his central midfield thing and we just couldn’t get near them, especially the first half.

Both those games had such a sense of opposition dominance that I think is the same as we’ve created for other teams on our travels for the past few years - so hopefully on some other far away fan forum someone’s writing about that amazing City performance.

Dortmund and Napoli stand out in recent memory.

In terms of player, Sanchez had an incredible game against us a few years back for Arsenal.

Klopp's Dortmund were relentless that night, but there's an irony that despite dominating possession,they didn't win the game, (and neither did Pep's Bayern on a couple of occasions)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.