Best performance by a visiting team

Watching the vintage Arsenal side dismantle us inside 20 minutes at Maine Road with all their star players on the bench was special.
And singing who the fuck are you when they brought Henry on. Their fans praised us for our humour on the radio phone ins post match

Chelsea at Maine Road in 88/89. The match was billed as a championship decider but in reality Chelsea played us off the park. The final score was 2-3 which suggests a close game but it was anything but. Clearest memory is their left back Dorigo running more than half the length of the pitch to score.
did clive Wilson play for us or them that day

Dortmund was the best performance I've seen. Pressing was unlike I'd ever seen. Totally dominant against a good side.
Arsenal at Maine Rd. But we weren't a great side at the time.
The young Leeds side in the FA Cup also stands out.
Peps Bayern but Pellegrinis tactics were awful that night. Played completely into their hands.

Chelsea at Maine Road in 88/89. The match was billed as a championship decider but in reality Chelsea played us off the park. The final score was 2-3 which suggests a close game but it was anything but. Clearest memory is their left back Dorigo running more than half the length of the pitch to score.
Good shout that.
City Chelsea was a big big match back in the old 2nd Division 88/89 season... Mel Machin was our manager and i think we were top of the league ,with Chelsea 2nd pre match(or the other way round,cant remember) Chelsea brought a proper crew to Maine Road...they absolutely jam packed Platt Lane End and were loud and proud.This surprised me because id been at Stamford Bridge the season before ,when away fans were banned, we won 3-1 in front of about 10k fans on a Tuesday night...This was my first experience of Chelsea on tour..viewed from the Kippax...Tremendous atmosphere..as you say the score line suggests a close match,but in truth,Chelsea were on another planet that day..more organised, more aggressive, and counter attacking brilliantly,roared on by their huge standing support.behind them in the 1st half.The goal you mentioned by Dorigo was a typical City moment...it was our corner at the North stand,2nd half,Ball broke..and somehow...Dixon Dorigo and Durie ..all 3 Chelsea players were running with the ball across the half way line at full speed...not a City defender in sight(we were losing and chasing the game..all gone up for the corner).. and i ll never forget the frightening view from up on the Kippax as 3 Chelsea players bore down on our undefended goal.it was a keystone cops/typical City moment ....and the away fans in platt lane roared as the 3Ds chased the ball down and Dorigo scored.Mayhem in Platt Lane..
The same day Utd had Forest at old trafford in the fa cup quarter finals,Forest with a naughty crew as part of the 54k there...added to the capacity crowd at Maine Road..90k worth of Football fan mayhem in Manchester that day.The whole City was Buzzing.....and exhausted by night i imagine.
We were wounded by our defeat,but went on the piss straight after on the bounce of utd getting beat.What a day...you dont get them Football Days anymore.

Arsenal 2003 for me. They were special and as others have said, it was hard to be angry, you just had to appreciate the quality you were seeing. Funnily enough, that same season, I went with a mate to watch brum v arsenal (I went to brum uni) and they did the same thing to them. Brum had a corner that was floated into the box, it was cleared and three touches later arsenal had scored.

I think the team that consistenly cause us the most problems at the Etihad (and Maine Road) are PGMOL, they don't have a massive fan base or financial budget but god do we struggle against them at times.

Who can forget legends like Clattenberg, Webb, Walton, Taylor - a star studded squad of egos and "unbeatables" now been added to by that Vee Ay Ar chap!

Last edited:
Never mind team performances, the one individual performance that destroyed us was Zola.

City vs Chelsea, Maine Road in 2002 (I think) and Zola was fookin amazing.

Chelsea beat us 3-0, Zola was subbed and as soon as he went off, the ground emptied as there was nothing worth watching........I know I certainly left after he'd been taken off as I was soaked wet through after sitting in the Gene Kelly while it pissed down all day!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.