Best player you have played with (or against)

Gary Owen ,played against Penketh & Sankey , u-13's , in a cup quarter final , we lost 1-5 and he scored four of them in the first half , he played as a left winger then and i got the job of marking him in the 2nd half , my P.E. teacher just told me to kick him off the park , i couldnt get near enough to kick him , he was on a different level , my only consolation was he didnt score any more goals , which was nothing to do with my superb defensive ability , i think he got bored .Ray Ranson played centre half for them and was their captain , and nothing got past him either.

Forgot when I posted earlier that I once reffed a charity match about 15 years ago. Chris Waddle, Steve Howey, Tony Norman & Eric Gates all played. Waddle played centre half and never headed a ball all the game but every pass whether 5 yards or 60 was perfect. God knows what he would have been like in his prime. Howey was surprisingly skillful as well. However, the best player on the pitch was ex Newcastle player Alan Shoulder who i think was about 50 at the time.

One's I've played against the middle aged on here would know include, Andy Grey (the Crystal Palace one), Ken Monkou, Graham LeSoux amongst others.
One's the elders on might know include Hugh Fisher, Denis Holywood, Brian O'neil and a young and very talented Steve Mills who was just about to get an England call up when he was involved in a car accident which ended his career!

I've been fortunate to play with and against many great footballers over the years, including watching many play with and against my brother and sons. But I'll limit this to just those players who have played for City. For me, I played for a very good junior side called Hillsboro Celtic and two of my team mates were Carl Shutt and Wayne Biggins. Both later played for City but didn't really play to their full potential, so very few older Blues will remember them fondly on here. I also played against Peter Barnes in an amateur game after he retired. He was unbelievably quick and skilful, even though he was probably the oldest on the pitch at that time.

I watched my younger brother in a junior cup final when he played centre half for Reddish St Mary's v Denton Boys. His managers instruction was simple....mark Dentons centre forward out of the game and St Marys will win. My brother was a good player but Dentons centre forward had scored 3 headed goals before half time and they went on to win the game. Dentons centre forward was a lad called Paul Lake.

I've watched both my sons play for a good junior football team called Reddish Vulcans, overseen by a dedicated football manager and overall great guy called Joe Makin. The best two players I've watched my sons play with were Jacob Davenport and Phil Foden. There were a lot of similarities with these two players at junior level, apart from their obvious talent, skill and ability to very rarely lose the ball. They were both small, both very modest and both had wonderful parents who kept them grounded.

So, in my humble opinion, who was the best at junior level? Well, in order, it would have to be Davenport third, Foden second and Lake first. But to have witnessed all these three, and the others, all at junior level and all later to play for City, it has been a privilege.

Not a massive one, but Kieffer Moore who now plays for Wigan I think. He was about 19, not signed and playing 7 a side. Couldn't get the ball off him.

The best players were always the local ones who played locally but we're straight in the pub afterwards. Some magical players, hard fuckers too.

Played against David Unsworth as a kid, but played in a 5 a side team a few years back with Kevin Gallagher who was still absolute class.

Back in the early 70's when I was about 9, I played for 2nd Cheadle cubs against 7th Cheadle cubs.

We lost 16-1. Andy Ritchie (age 10) scored at least 12 goals. It wasn't all bad because I scored our goal.

A few years later Ritchie was centre forward for England Schoolboys, scored loads of goals including a hat-trick against Germany schoolboys. He was also our school centre-forward and single handedly got them through to the semi-finals of the English Schools Cup where we were knocked out by some scouse school.

I remember being at an away game (possibly Villa or Everton) in the late 70's and coming out of the ground and hearing on my radio that the now 18 year old Ritchie had scored a hat-trick for United against Leeds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.