Best Roses song?

gaudinho's stolen car said:
Phill said:
According to the book ''The Manchester Musical History Tour'', wriiten by Craig Gill and, er, me...... this song was inspired by inhaling quite a few spliffs down Chorlton water park where the Mersey flows by......
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.empire-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.empire-uk.com</a>

oh, my personal favs........ Waterfall, ten storey love song, fuck...........all of them!!

Jesus Christ Phillll, that publisher loves books about the rags!

Yes......... but they also did the Neil Young and Ken Barnes books plus Dante Friend's 'My Blue Heaven'!

Gotta be "She bangs the drums" for me, It's just such a simple and brilliant tune. Also unlike some of their other stuff it doesnt remind me of utd.

Not my "genre" tbf, dont get me wrong i can listen to them and appreciate their talent but it doesn't do it for me. So my contribution is minimal. I would have to say Waterfall?

Phill said:
markyboyblue said:
Gotta be "She bangs the drums" for me, It's just such a simple and brilliant tune. Also unlike some of their other stuff it doesnt remind me of utd.

Reni is a Blue ;)

I did his car insurance for him once, he said he was a plasterer! It's just that they come out to the roses and I associate them as being a utd band. Wish I could have back the mindset I had in 1990, not clouded.

Christ, where to start. IMO the true power of the band was in it's jamming ability, their groove was so strong. On those grounds alone, Resurrection and Fools Gold stand alone, and from second coming Tears is a bit of a standout, although more of Squire virtuoso with able support from bass and drums. I believe One Love was about 30 minutes along at one point, but Silvertone were having none of it. Now that is something I'd like to hear.

From the debut album I always had a real affinity with Sugar Spun Sister, as it does that bitter-sweet 3 minute pop song thing really well (as did Bye Bye Badman). She Bangs the Drums is very flat on the album, suffereing for it's mono recording, The cd single release backed by Standing Here & Mersey Paradise was mixed in stereo and has an infinitly stronger kick into the chorus. Mersey Paradise was the song that hooked me in at the time so I'll give it props as the best of short sharp sweet variety of song they masterfully stole from Jesus and Mary Chain school of song writing.

I'll also give a special mention to Elizabeth My Dear sung live at Glasgow Green at the height of it all, he sings about 3 words and the 10000 crown do the rest. Was a special special night for a young 16 year old hirop.

I can recommend this site http://www.thestoneroses.co.uk/press/face-january-1990 for anyone wanting to get a feel for what that time was like rather than just listening the music from the time and saying, "eh...it's kinda ok". The press articles are scanned copies of articles from the time, including the articles from Q and The Face. You can't really seperate the three, the vibe, the music, and the drugs all went together to make a heady heady brew. They were kids totally out there depth in a vile music business, yet still made possibly the best album since punk!

Don’t know if it’s my favourite, because that changes all the time, but the song that I think encapsulates The Roses talents best is ‘Shoot You Down’. I like that fact that each member has his own space to breathe on the song. Reni and Mani carry it along effortlessly and Squire dips in and out sprinkling bits of magic over the top, plus it’s got the classic roses trick of angelic harmonies with dark lyrics. I love it.

Shands said:
Don’t know if it’s my favourite, because that changes all the time, but the song that I think encapsulates The Roses talents best is ‘Shoot You Down’. I like that fact that each member has his own space to breathe on the song. Reni and Mani carry it along effortlessly and Squire dips in and out sprinkling bits of magic over the top, plus it’s got the classic roses trick of angelic harmonies with dark lyrics. I love it.

one line that sums up the stone roses for me. never heard it explained so well whilst so simply. beautiful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.