Best/worst cup game?

FrankSwift1

I was just reading this article about the Halifax FA cup game. Good read but jsut a few year's before my time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...x-town-hypnotist-manchester-city-fa-cup-shock

I got me thinking about my favourite and worst cup game.

My favourite has to be the FA Cup Semi-final against Utd. Quite an obvious one I know. But for me I can’t be surpassed. We’re at Wembley. City’s at Wembley and I’m going! I’ve only wanted to do this for over 25 years. The nervous raucous atmosphere before at the roundabout near Wembley. Everyone singing and going mental. The nagging belief that Utd would beat us again (probably by a last minute winner to twist the knife). Getting inside the ground and doing the Poznan.. glorious fun. We score OMG.. we can’t win this can we..? the endless final few minutes ticking by with the whole crowd screaming, begging praying for that whistle… and then the whistle goes. Looking around at the disbelief on all our faces.. We’d done it..! then 10 minutes later. Bloody ell. I’ nervous about the final already...

My worst. The Blackburn quarter final in 2007. The weekend coincided with my new girlfriend birthday so I decided to take her to Barcelona (Thanks to £40 Ryanair tickets). We had an amazing weekend seeing all the sites, eating and drinking great food and.. well it was our honeymoon period if you know what I mean. I explained to her that I just had to watch the game. I really had no choice (we’ve not been to a semi-final since 1981 you know). She wasn’t a big football fan but agreed to watch with me. We found a pub and, well we all know what happened in the game.

When the game finished I just though what’s the point of this..? I’m having a great, no amazing weekend and bloody city have spoiled it again. I was gutted and thought I can’t do this anymore… I give up. Why am I giving so much emotionally to something I can’t control. We’ve never going to do anything.. It’s not worth it. Of course by the time I got back home I was back with the city addiction.

If you have got this far thanks for reading. So what is your favourite and worst cup game and why?

Worst cup game for me was the 1st round F.A cup match against Halifax .
I know we won 3-0 at Maine Road .
But the match was boring and it was cold .
Best cup match was beating West Ham 6-0 in the league cup ,2 years ago in the semi final .
Didn't really need the second leg after that result .

I'm only in my late teens but the worst would be the 3-0 loss at home to forest , we signed Wayne bridge the same day that says it all

Worst........too many to mention (well almost). Bolton v City (League Cup 1971) we lost 3-0 at Burnden Park; Halifax away (1980) lost 1-0 FA Cup 3rd Round.....think they were in the old 4th division at the time. What a s***hole of a ground as well. We basically were standing on a slag heap.......Losing to Wolves in the 1974 League Cup Final..........

Best......again, quite a few over the years - the year after the Halifax match. FA Cup SF at Villa Park. We beat a very good Ipswich side managed by Bobby Robson with a Paul Power free kick in extra time. It seemed like City had about 80% of the tickets that day, there were blues everywhere.......Middlesbrough in the League Cup SF 2nd Leg @ Maine Road in 1975/6 - we went on to beat Toon in the final. Midweek cup games at Maine Road were a fantastic atmosphere........of course our first trophy in 3 centuries, beating Stoke at Wembley, just for the emotion

Losing away at Notts County in 1991 still stands out as a match that really bothered me. I remember the depressed silence on the coach home like it was yesterday, I really thought that was going to be our year.

Beating united in the semi final at Wembley was definitely my favourite and it's going to take some beating.

I was just reading this article about the Halifax FA cup game. Good read but jsut a few year's before my time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...x-town-hypnotist-manchester-city-fa-cup-shock

I got me thinking about my favourite and worst cup game.

My favourite has to be the FA Cup Semi-final against Utd. Quite an obvious one I know. But for me I can’t be surpassed. We’re at Wembley. City’s at Wembley and I’m going! I’ve only wanted to do this for over 25 years. The nervous raucous atmosphere before at the roundabout near Wembley. Everyone singing and going mental. The nagging belief that Utd would beat us again (probably by a last minute winner to twist the knife). Getting inside the ground and doing the Poznan.. glorious fun. We score OMG.. we can’t win this can we..? the endless final few minutes ticking by with the whole crowd screaming, begging praying for that whistle… and then the whistle goes. Looking around at the disbelief on all our faces.. We’d done it..! then 10 minutes later. Bloody ell. I’ nervous about the final already...

My worst. The Blackburn quarter final in 2007. The weekend coincided with my new girlfriend birthday so I decided to take her to Barcelona (Thanks to £40 Ryanair tickets). We had an amazing weekend seeing all the sites, eating and drinking great food and.. well it was our honeymoon period if you know what I mean. I explained to her that I just had to watch the game. I really had no choice (we’ve not been to a semi-final since 1981 you know). She wasn’t a big football fan but agreed to watch with me. We found a pub and, well we all know what happened in the game.

When the game finished I just though what’s the point of this..? I’m having a great, no amazing weekend and bloody city have spoiled it again. I was gutted and thought I can’t do this anymore… I give up. Why am I giving so much emotionally to something I can’t control. We’ve never going to do anything.. It’s not worth it. Of course by the time I got back home I was back with the city addiction.

If you have got this far thanks for reading. So what is your favourite and worst cup game and why?

The game at Halifax (the one in this article) is the worst City cup game I have ever attended and witnessed. The best has to be the 3-0 demolition of AC Milan at Maine rd sometime 1977. That is still one of my all time favourite City performances we were awesome that night and Barnes was unplayable absolutely destroyed them.

Worst has to be the cup final v Wigan, the team gave up a great opportunity to win a trophy in order to dump Mancini on his arse. Worst feeling ever walking out of wembley and the heavens opening with a huge deluge of rain whilst thousands of blues walked back to the tube station in silence.

Best has to be Spurs away in 2004, 3 nil down at half time, Barton mouthing off and getting sent off at walking off the pitch.

Then the miracle happened Macken rising like a salmon to send us blues into delirium. I wonder if would have actually have got the same reaction if we weren't down to ten men that evening? Only city can give you games of football like that.

Losing away at Notts County in 1991 still stands out as a match that really bothered me. I remember the depressed silence on the coach home like it was yesterday, I really thought that was going to be our year.
You should have tried standing in the home end that day, hurled against the fencing when they scored. Then you'd know what depressing was.

Worst - Fuck off Grauniad for dredging that one up again. :-(

Best - The comeback win at Spurs was something else, the 2nd half was a totally surreal experience.

2629.jpg

What the fuck has this **** got on his head?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.