Bill Taylor Testimonial

Didsbury Dave

Following on from the Johnny Hart thread, did anyone here attend the Bill Taylor Testamonial at Maine Road around and about 1982 after he died? I've got the programme somewhere I think, a little white one. My memories are this:

We played an "England eleven" but I've no idea who actually played for them. I presume that was just a catch all phrase to cover a bunch of people prepared to give up an evening. Did Peter Barnes play for England instead of City?

I can't remember the score but something in the corner of my memory says 2-2.

There were quite a few big parties of school kids from around the region sitting in the Platt Lane Stand, and high pitched chanting of "City!", along with some "England!", like you used to get at the schoolboy internationals, filled the air.

There was some kind of fight on The Kippax. The singers who used to stand above the tunnel at The Platt Lane end all suddenly piled down below the tunnel en-masse, presumably to chase out some invaders. I presume United's firm turned up or something because what followed was lots of "Hark Now Hear, United Ran away" singing.

That's about all I remember and I've never talked to anyone who was there.

bill-taylor-memorial-manchester-city-v-england-official-match-programme-9th-february-1982-maine-road-8127-p[ekm]414x329[ekm].jpg

This is the one Dave but i wasn't there or can remember anything about it. Will have a dig around.

Gary James might be able to help.

Here are the teams etc.

CITY V ENGLAND

Bill Taylor Memorial Match

9th February 1982

Attendance 11,106

Scorers
City Bond
England Barnes, Coppell

Ref Neil Midgeley

City Corrigan, Ranson, McDonald, Cherry, Bond, Caton, Kinsey, Reeves, Francis, Hutchison, Power

England Shilton, Sansom, Martin, Foster, Anderson, Rix, Robson, Wilkins, Coppell, Brooking, Barnes

Thanks mate. I swear in the back of my mind I remembered Trevor cherry playing (not for city though)and also Barnes playing for England. As a kid I thought it was bizarre. I'm surprised there were a only 11k there, though.

I went to this one. Must admit, I don't have any memory of Trevor Cherry lining up for City. Bit of an avant-garde line up from Ron Greenwood, as well - playing without an orthodox striker. Two strong sides - pity they didn't draw a bigger gate to raise funds for Taylor's family after his tragic early death.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.