Birmingham receive 9 point deduction

Can anyone name a single professional league club that has gone out of business and genuinely no longer exists in some form? The only one I can think of is Rushden and Diamonds, whose history went all the way back to 1992. This idea that clubs are regularly destroyed by terrible owners is just bollocks. Clubs that 'go out of business' quickly return if they have the fanbase to support it. Look at Rangers. Officially folded and were back in the top flight about as quickly as they could be. Or Wimbledon, whose fans had their club stolen from them (where were the rules to stop that?) and within a few years actually surpassed MK Dons in the league. I find the concept of punishing a club that's in debt with an action that's likely to put them into more debt ridiculous.
Accrington FC & Accrington Stanley? (sucks to live in Accrington I guess)

i think manchester city don't make a loss anymore ??? the turn over last time was over £500million so even if uefa want to slap a transfer ban on us for breach of FFP rules in the end it will help us bank even more money, i said before people and investment and sponsorship come to manchester city now not city going cap in hand and having to take a piss poor offer that is not beneficial to the club, now manchester city name sells itself world wide and will grow and grow and the brand is now open to turn down offers

CAS lawsuit, anyone?

Was the 9 point penalty codified and agreed to by the clubs PRIOR to this ruling, or have the EFL pulled it out of their arse?

Penalties like this, especially the timing of this one coming at this stage of the season, are ridiculous. What if they were 7 points ahead at the top? What if they were 5 points above relegation?

Unless codified prior to penalty, this sounds like a ridiculously large penalty! It is literally ONE PLAYER TRANSFER from being in accordance.

The authorities should not have hard and fast rules for these things. Each club is set up, and runs, their business the best way they see fit. I have no problem with having to show your books and even requiring clubs to have proven, deposited reserves for losses, but this all smacks of Big Brother protecting the well heeled clubs and stopping any team’s benefactor from helping his club claw their way up the Leagues.

The history of the English game is filled with fat cat benefactors who help fund success, and many of them lose money because it is money they can afford to lie to see their club succeed. Hell, every single supporter does the same...Lose money in the hope of seeing their club be a success!

This FFP mindset has virtually LOCKED OUT the possibility of clubs joining the top tier. The financial differences are simply too great, especially with the commercial revenues a 20,000 seater stadium in a backwater town can generate. Compare City’s recent £650M deal with anything outside the Top 6! Simply unattainable.

No love lost for Brum, but I can already hear the calls from all over Europe to try to penalize City right out of Europe next season. With that goes £50-100M, which the owners have obviously not factored in given our recent history of success, and which then helps future FFP issues become almost guaranteed.

Maybe, everyone should follow the United model...load up on debt and just service it from revenues?! Oh wait, they’re ALREADY at the top table, so no-one could possibly do that after recent years in the wilderness of Europe’s top competitions!

The fix is in.

At first, I thought it was for the supporter twatting Grealish from behind!

Last edited:
i think manchester city don't make a loss anymore ??? the turn over last time was over £500million so even if uefa want to slap a transfer ban on us for breach of FFP rules in the end it will help us bank even more money, i said before people and investment and sponsorship come to manchester city now not city going cap in hand and having to take a piss poor offer that is not beneficial to the club, now manchester city name sells itself world wide and will grow and grow and the brand is now open to turn down offers
Turnover and profit are different things.

Also, attracting investment from outside the Middle East when not in European competition is considerably more difficult, which exacerbates the revenue problems going forward. NOTHING GOOD comes from FFP penalties that includes omission from Europe.

Last edited:
Can anyone name a single professional league club that has gone out of business and genuinely no longer exists in some form? The only one I can think of is Rushden and Diamonds, whose history went all the way back to 1992.

Bradford Park Avenue were wound up in 1974. I remember being shocked about it, because I just had this mystical idea that a club that had once been in the professional leagues could never actually cease to exist. They're actually a very old club. That said, they were refounded in the eighties, and are now in the National League North. So yes, clubs do seem to go on in one form or another. A club as old as Birmingham are in no danger of going out of business whatsoever, although it will hurt them badly if they drop down a division.

Post script: Bradford's address is actually Cemetery Rd.! Can you imagine saying to the missus "oh I'm just off down Cemetery Rd to see how the lads get on today?"

Turnover and profit are different things.

Also, attracting investment from outside the Middle East when not in European competition is considerably more difficult, which exacerbates the revenue problems going forward. NOTHING GOOD comes from FFP penalties that includes omission from Europe.

true
but if the likes of a so called big club like liverpool or united ever found themselves out of the champions league places they still earn more money than city ??? united last season made more money from tv and premier league games being shown and jose parked the bus every week and even their own fans turned off, then you have pep and city playing FIFA football every week and scored over 100 goals and won the league by a record point total of 100 but still made less then united ???? that can not be right

the championship is a 2nd rate league and the tv and money deals are way off what the premier league clubs earn with major sponsorship, and why on earth are Birmingham being made a scapegoat and standout of FFP rules and dodgy deals or fudging the books, it happens with all the big clubs in the premier league united are in a mess and in debt to a tune of £500 million and nothing is ever done to punish them for not clearing the debt in fact over the last 3 seasons its grown so why don't the FA punish united

forget all this bullshit about the valuation of united and the debt is covered by the owns in if they are selling the club the debt will come off the cost of selling ??? what happens if the money falls out of football ?? and with the brexit deal or no deal looming the valuation of football clubs could be hit hard in the market so £millions could be wiped off the value of a club over night

football is in danger of a financial meltdown in england and the money could be gone in a flash, and then clubs like united would be in the laps of the gods and the banks shitting bricks and wanting their money back, so why are clubs like united and liverpool being let off with FFP because for me they are at a bigger risk then any club in england and i a blink of a eye would be like LEEDS UNITED and a fire sale, and they was a big club at the time so it could happen again

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.