Blackburn and Wigan financial losses

I'd certainly agree that it's a problem for many clubs, along with agent's fees, transfer costs etc. On the other hand though the players may see it differently.
Let's say a club is turning over £10 million (to make the figures easy) and has running costs of £2m, player wages of £6m, and the owner takes the other £2m, but somehow the wages now get halved by a new rule. That leaves £3m that might be used to stop the club getting into difficulty, but the owner is going to pocket the rest, and all of it most years. If you're a player - the one actually doing the work and reason the club is making money - you're going to want a fair share.
Salary caps and other things may make financial stability easier, but they also take away a club's (off field) advantage over it's competitors. Blackburn obviously saw spending money they don't have as a way to get to the money they want. Most owners will do this as it maximises their profits. I can't see most of them wanting change, and especially the higher up the leagues they are.

So you're right, but there aren't going to be enough people interested in change to make it happen.

A fair reply but rather than say the profit goes to the chairmen, why not say that the profit is what gives the club something in the bank to pay for incoming transfers or ground improvements etc :)

It is not going to happen but if something doesn't change then there maybe won't be the clubs around for these players to play for or against to earn their vast wages, a lot of clubs are balancing on the edge of a precipice and we just do not know how they will fall in another few years.

You can only do that if you have a draft system. Otherwise players just go to the "istory" (TM) clubs.

Regarding financial losses, the demographic of towns like Blackburn have changed dramatically too, they'd be more successful as a cricket club.

Well only so many can go to those clubs, where will that leave the 1st division or 2nd division standard players, some of these are raking in big wages for the class of football they are playing at, I believe one example was Leyton Orient who were paying 10k for a guy called Henderson and another couple on 5k a week, this was the lowest tier of the English league system.

Now that was just bad, bad management but Leyton either went into administration or were very close to doing so but that is a slightly different scenario with an owner trying to play football manager in real life.

A fair reply but rather than say the profit goes to the chairmen, why not say that the profit is what gives the club something in the bank to pay for incoming transfers or ground improvements etc :)

It is not going to happen but if something doesn't change then there maybe won't be the clubs around for these players to play for or against to earn their vast wages, a lot of clubs are balancing on the edge of a precipice and we just do not know how they will fall in another few years.

Again, I agree with what you're saying, but can't see it ever happening. The business model is about making money - short-term, long-term or whatever, but making money nonetheless. Some owners want to make money to keep the club in the best of health, others to milk it for all they can, and most somewhere in-between. Arguably, the ones who are best at the business side are the ones without the best interest of the clubs at heart. I'd even put most of the 'top' clubs in that bracket.
Sport though is about competition and the more level the playing field, the more competition. To have a robust, competitive, healthy footballing world would mean governing bodies with the best interests of the sport clearly first with nothing even a close second. The mere fact the PL was established to do the exact opposite tells us everything we need to know.

I realise we're basically saying the same thing here, but maybe I'm just incapable of seeing even a hint of optimism...

This is why I don't think the traditional league set-up can continue long-term. At some point it will crash and burn.

Not that I think this is a good thing. It isn't. But it's reality. Younger end (generally) would sooner watch the Premier League on TV than support their local club.

Football, along with society,has changed massively in the last few years. All these clubs, many of whom were once giants in the game, will struggle to attract new fans these days. Slowly their older loyal fan base will die off and if no new fans come in so will the club. Too much televised better quality football and for our local ones more glamorous successful clubs on their doorstep. Once a football club was the main hub of the community that is no longer the case. It is sad but it is what it is.

Football, along with society,has changed massively in the last few years. All these clubs, many of whom were once giants in the game, will struggle to attract new fans these days. Slowly their older loyal fan base will die off and if no new fans come in so will the club. Too much televised better quality football and for our local ones more glamorous successful clubs on their doorstep. Once a football club was the main hub of the community that is no longer the case. It is sad but it is what it is.
Wigan were never the hub of the community the Rugby Club are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.