"Blackfishing"

You know the irony is that your view is a constant in the 'dismissive' state of mind. There's a repeated view of 'whataboutism' that happens every day, month and year when it comes to issues that undermine societal balance.

These are separate subjects; starvation and equality and, yet, the ability to 'recognise' the issues are the same, but different in levels of importance.

It's silly that both matters cannot be addressed.
Nonsense. I just know whats an issue and what isnt. You dont!

First world problems dont really suck.

Swap shy for scared. Your hypothetical scenario was fair enough but what about a hypothetical scenario where you see 4 racist knife wielding thugs racially abusing and threatening someone. Being active might get you killed, being inactive probably won’t sit comfortably with you but saves from harm. Don’t want the thread to go in the wrong direction with this but just think things aren’t as binary as you make out

Well, that depends, doesn't it?

if you thing being 'active' is wading in, that's on you.

You could be just as active by calling the police.

Nobody expects anyone to be a physical hero. Saving lives means more than throwing a punch.

Inactivity, by fucking off completely, makes you pond scum.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has an issue with this. I find it curious in the respect of the shut down culture we seem to have now. As soon as you try to debate this you are out. Which is a shame as people could learn from both sides of the arguement

View attachment 28009

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...-casting-a-white-dude-as-lead-us-1197021/amp/

I'm assuming you understand the reasoning behind such baiting headline?

Any chance you understood Peele's thinking?

And did you see the leeway the headline gave him in making such a statement?

These things serve to see how open you are to understanding anything or whether you just see what's in front of you.

Me, I've read Peele's previous thinking on the subject, so I know where he's at.

The question is, do you?

Sorry to butt in here.

I don't think that's true at all. I think there are plenty of people on here who make an effort to understand the issues and then might come to different conclusions about it. And then there are another group who deliberately don't try to understand the issue at all, and take pride in their unwillingness to attempt to understand another perspective.
Yeah, and this is the part that seems to be the big hold up. These are the kind of people who would live by the "Facts>Feelings" line of reasoning and yet they actively mock and dismiss a point of view which they make no effort to understand, which is totally illogical.

People who are accused of blackfishing aren't trying to be part of the black community, they are superficially taking aspects of it. And they are almost certainly profiting from it if they're being criticised. The only question is whether anything is wrong with that. People who are genuinely engaged and involved in a particular community (e.g. Eminem) rarely get criticised in the same way, even if wider society is criticised when the black originators fail to have the same success as the white adopters.

One of the big concerns about blackfishing (and appropriation in general) is that it's seen as cherry-picking as you said. You take the good stuff from other communities, but without all the shitty stuff that led those communities down this path to begin with. Black women especially have told stories for many, many years about the large difficulties they had integrating in a white world when trying to embrace their blackness (for lack of a better term). Lots of tales about how they would be criticised, mocked, or persecuted for having a different look. It was either fit in with the white people or be an outcast.

Now that things are more tolerated, here comes a white girl with no sense of the struggle to take away what's 'theirs'. Now that it's cool. Now that it's marketable in a mainstream sense. If you were of black heritage and you believe strongly in current black race and social movements of present seeing something like this might annoy you. For these people wearing black looks is a testament to something far greater than looks and not just a means of looking nice. It's something that the whole race worked for. And this is just the tip of the blackfishing iceberg.

My personal view is one of confusion. As I'm not sure ethically what's really the way forward and what's more important: freedom to wear whatever or a demand to respect whatever belongs to whomever. In this case in particular, it's confusing because this isn't a new issue for Nelson, but on the flipside is it really an issue at all? Again as you say that's the big question.

I genuinely think moving forward though, what's important is that people make the effort to understand that there's smoke to this fire. Understand that the people upset are humans too and that they aren't feeling this way for no reason. How right they are is another matter, but in their opinion it's a genuine thing and to "solve" any problems it suits us all to understand it.

Nobody expects anyone to be a physical hero. Saving lives means more than throwing a punch.

No it doesn't mate, it really doesn't.
You've just judged someone there, and called them scum.
Just because they would walk away from a potentially life threatening scenario.
If that was you with a wife and kids waiting for you I'd want you to do the same.
Call the police? Mmmm

Too extreme

Nonsense. I just know whats an issue and what isnt. You dont!

First world problems dont really suck.

Okay, let me not be nuanced about it.

Exploitation morphing into appropriation has happened for over 400 years.

And, yet, first world problems is what you call it.

You will never understand, no matter how much you think you do.

Clearly.

Okay, let me not be nuanced about it.

Exploitation morphing into appropriation has happened for over 400 years.

And, yet, first world problems is what you call it.

You will never understand, no matter how much you think you do.

Clearly.
No Problem, you just carry on worrying about stuff like this mate if it makes you feel better.

Me, I will just carry on treating everyone the same and being concerned about things that actually matter.

No it doesn't mate, it really doesn't.
You've just judged someone there, and called them scum.
Just because they would walk away from a potentially life threatening scenario.
If that was you with a wife and kids waiting for you I'd want you to do the same.
Call the police? Mmmm

I've experienced and done many things that have shaped me in my life.

I've gone from being a 2 year old watching my mother's fingers getting snapped in front of my face and being backhanded across the length of a room when I've gone to defend her.

I've seen a female neighbour gripped by her throat on a car bonnet when I was around 10 and realising my age could do nothing for her, so all I could do was bang on the window to let her husband attacker know I saw him.

I've gripped up a bloke in a nightclub who was screaming in his woman's face, so turfed him via a one arm chokehold (and her, by her wrist, for attacking me for protecting her) and told them to deal with their shit outside if they couldn't civil.

As many know I've HAMMERED a rapist when no one helped the victim because she was a former drug addict who went back on drugs to deal with the trauma.

I've broken a police curfew because a female friend said she was being stalked.

If you see something, the least you can do is make a call to the police, rather than ignore abuse and pretend you never saw it.

But, that's where my own morality is.

Everyone else can walk their own line.

No Problem, you just carry on worrying about stuff like this mate if it makes you feel better.

Me, I will just carry on treating everyone the same and being concerned about things that actually matter.

Good for you.

And the way you see things without understanding context, even though it's been explained numerous times on this thread, is what is called White Privilege.

I'm pretty sure you'll feel offended without understanding the context and reasoning through your '1st world problem' eyes.

There are none so blind that will not see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.