"Blackfishing"

How about we ask the question which is more important...

Getting vaccinated against pandemic causing virus or “cultural appropriation" of music and hairstyles?

If someone was to say the latter, we'd probably think that they had lost all sense of perspective in life.
Does the importance of getting vaccinated mean that cultural appropriation doesn’t matter? What if we asked the question which is more important, immediate action on climate change or getting vaccinated. You can only choose one

How about we ask the question which is more important...

Getting vaccinated against pandemic causing virus or “cultural appropriation" of music and hairstyles?

If someone was to say the latter, we'd probably think that they had lost all sense of perspective in life.
It's about raising awareness.
As a white middle aged man it isn't particularly important to me, to such a degree I wasn't even aware of it, but now I am, I'm able to empathise to degree and can understand why it is so important to some people and would make sure in future that I wouldn't do anything (pretty sure I never have in the past) to cause offence and would call out anyone doing it now.
If you get past the name calling there has been some very good posts on this thread.
Chances are it will never be of any importance to you and it will never be of as much importance to people it doesn't directly a/effect but that can be said about any subject.
To me it's about raising awareness and educating and future behaviors

Does the importance of getting vaccinated mean that cultural appropriation doesn’t matter? What if we asked the question which is more important, immediate action on climate change or getting vaccinated. You can only choose one

The problem with that is both are serious issues. It's more important to get vaccinated in the immediate short term but climate change obviously has the greater potential to wipe out all organised human civilisation.

In fact, I think the very reason people focus on "cultural appropriation" (and similar issues) is because they are easy wins (although it's not always concious to them).

It's easy to achieve a ban on the sale of Indian headdresses at Glastonbury Festival, it is relatively easy to get venues and clubs to change their name- it is easy to get attention by getting hashtags trending on twitter and get someone shamed into offering a grovelling apology.

It’s not possible to get the same results in issues of discrimination, climate change, issues of wide health disparity between different ethnic groups and class. These things take a lot of work by countless people and take much longer to achieve.

As a white middle aged man it isn't particularly important to me, to such a degree I wasn't even aware of it, but now I am, I'm able to empathise to degree and can understand why it is so important to some people and would make sure in future that I wouldn't do anything (pretty sure I never have in the past) to cause offence and would call out anyone doing it now.
If you get past the name calling there has been some very good posts on this thread.
Chances are it will never be of any importance to you and it will never be of as much importance to people it doesn't directly a/effect but that can be said about any subject.

So you're not making a rap album or video in the near future. I agree with you 100% on this:-)

we should all reconvene on the pre match thread and argue about who should be the false nine today, and then meet on the actual match thread to bicker about why we aren't 2-0 up after 10 minutes. (actually avoid the match day thread apart from a half time catch up for that reason)
How about we all meet for a pre match pint sometime? To further the debate in more appropriate surroundings. I would be up for that if others were. Unlikley to be able do today as im running late and on a later train from Macc

Good post, but it's not so much about behaviour.

I would swap that viewpoint for 'having appreciation'.

Is there an Arab version? Newcastle fans wearing tea towels as a Saudi headdress. Is that cultural appropriation?

View attachment 27979
Let's get one thing straight.

I don't give a stiff shit if she identifies as white, black or pink with yellow spots, a la Mr Bobby........( Oh fuck.... I said Mr..... I've gender specificed the thread.... silly me) .

Her publicity company has her wearing half a golf glove, more jewellery than Papa Lazarou, ridiculous nails, and hair tails coming through a Tartan baseball cap......and they've spelt the name of her record incorrectly. World's gone mad..... (oh, no..... I've insulted the mentally fragile....... I'm damned forever)

I'm not sure what you just said mate, but she can identify as any colour of the Rainbow she likes! She is a beautiful looking girl! (Grealish should take her to Corbie Hairs)!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.