"Blackfishing"

You'd be right, but it doesn't harm anybody to look up why these people might be getting upset then for a better understanding of their perspective.
And I agree. Yet there is a definite point that "being offended" seems to have become an industry these days, don't you agree?

And I agree. Yet there is a definite point that "being offended" seems to have become an industry these days, don't you agree?
Yeah definitely, but how can you know where that line is if you don't understand why people are upset in the first place? It's perfectly plausible that this specific case is much ado about nothing and it's outrage for the sake of it, but equally maybe there's a lot of merit to it. Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle, maybe a combination of sorts dependent on demographic, or maybe something else altogether.

These kind of discussions are very frustrating for people on both sides, because it seems really obvious to everyone that they're right and the other side is wrong. The main way to get someone to understand your point of view seems to be by comparison to similar situations. That leads to a lot of "it's not the same thing" comments, but I think it's still the best way forward for anyone trying to reach common ground in good faith.

So, here's a comparison to think about: for those who think it's wrong for a white person to look, dress, and act like a black person, do you feel the same way about trans-women? They grew up as men, so they haven't suffered any of the disadvantages of being a woman, but now they look, dress, and act like women.

If the answer is that it's different, because these were men who genuinely felt that they should be women and weren't trying to gain money or fame from the change, then is it okay for 'normal' white people to 'blackfish', as long as they aren't trying to profit from it and genuinely feel more comfortable as part of the black community?

These kind of discussions are very frustrating for people on both sides, because it seems really obvious to everyone that they're right and the other side is wrong. The main way to get someone to understand your point of view seems to be by comparison to similar situations. That leads to a lot of "it's not the same thing" comments, but I think it's still the best way forward for anyone trying to reach common ground in good faith.

So, here's a comparison to think about: for those who think it's wrong for a white person to look, dress, and act like a black person, do you feel the same way about trans-women? They grew up as men, so they haven't suffered any of the disadvantages of being a woman, but now they look, dress, and act like women.

If the answer is that it's different, because these were men who genuinely felt that they should be women and weren't trying to gain money or fame from the change, then is it okay for 'normal' white people to 'blackfish', as long as they aren't trying to profit from it and genuinely feel more comfortable as part of the black community?
The two things are completely different , being born in the wrong body is gender identidy and a medical issue ,shouldnt need explaining , christ

Yeah definitely, but how can you know where that line is if you don't understand why people are upset in the first place? It's perfectly plausible that this specific case is much ado about nothing and it's outrage for the sake of it, but equally maybe there's a lot of merit to it. Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle, maybe a combination of sorts dependent on demographic, or maybe something else altogether.
Mainly because I think some people are hoping to be offended to further their "cause." It has become an industry.
And at that point I become "disengaged."
I'm not a racist, in fact my mixed race cousin was probably my best friend as I grew up. I saw the racism then towards her (she lived in Cleveleys) in the late 60s and early 70s and tried to defend her, as only another young girl can. I saw the "looks" and heard the subtle abuse. Yet Miriam was my cousin and my friend, and I thought them all pretty horrible. I tried my best.

I can't really understand why this jessy business is deemed to be worthy of such a backlash, I really can't.

Mainly because I think some people are hoping to be offended to further their "cause." It has become an industry.
And at that point I become "disengaged."
But it's totally unfair to assume everybody upset about something is just doing it for the sake of being upset. Maybe they are, but if you don't understand the history behind the issue and you're unwilling to make an effort to do so, then how can you say with any certainty that your theory is true?

I can't really understand why this jessy business is deemed to be worthy of such a backlash, I really can't.
But as I've said repeatedly in this thread, it's extremely easy to actually look up and understand why people might get upset at this. The fact that nobody has taken me up on that offer suggests that they don't want to understand it.

If people start concentrating on the future instead of constantly looking at the past then we may start to make progress. If we are forever stuck with the idea of being offended by what a different generation thought then there's no hope of moving on. Of course we have to learn from past mistakes, acknowledge how horrible life has been for sections of society due to something that they have no control of like skin colour. For some it'll never get through but we have to accept that with the many billions inhabiting the planet there will be a lot of cunts. Racism is unlikely to disappear sadly, but if we keep chipping away it'll eventually get to a point where those who suffer the most will accept its a small minority.
Until that happens we will be forever stuck with situations to be offended by.
This instance shouldn't be something to get pissed off about, it's just a singer who doesn't know any better. Making it a big deal only fans the flames.

But it's totally unfair to assume everybody upset about something is just doing it for the sake of being upset. Maybe they are, but if you don't understand the history behind the issue and you're unwilling to make an effort to do so, then how can you say with any certainty that your theory is true?

But as I've said repeatedly in this thread, it's extremely easy to actually look up and understand why people might get upset at this. The fact that nobody has taken me up on that offer suggests that they don't want to understand it.

Honestly I really don't think it's hard to understand the difference between being inspired by something and impersonating it.

You don't need tortured comparisons or hypotheticals, you don't need to go back to the rift valley to explain why we're all the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.