Blondie.

Not even in the top 20.
Who is your top 20 then Len so I can criticise them up against Blondie.

I’m not even a huge Blondie fan but just had a glance at the 20 tracks on their greatest hits album, and I’m not finding it easy thinking of an American band with 20 better songs. Happy to hear suggestions... Maybe The Beach Boys (?) but I don’t know their catalogue that well

Last edited:
I saw that at the time and thought the sound was lame. Could hardly hear the guitars. Sometimes gigs just don’t come across on the TV. Bet it sounded completely different in the venue.
Just watched the show and the keyboards and drums are high in the mix

Who is your top 20 then Len so I can criticise them up against Blondie.

I’m not even a huge Blondie fan but just had a glance at the 20 tracks on their greatest hits album, and I’m not finding it easy thinking of an American band with 20 better songs. Happy to hear suggestions... Maybe The Beach Boys (?) but I don’t know their catalogue that well
Yeah Beach Boys.
Then Doors, Byrds, Tom Petty.
Grateful Dead,Eagles,Van Halen.
I could go on.
PS The Band.

Yeah Beach Boys.
Then Doors, Byrds, Tom Petty.
Grateful Dead,Eagles,Van Halen.
I could go on.
PS The Band.
The one off that list I know best would be Van Halen who I’d say have about a dozen fabulous tracks.
I think your suggestions (with respect) have a bit of a rock bias, and I think it’s too easy to dismiss pop, for want of a better word, which is basically what new wave Blondie evolved into.
The bands you’ve named might have had better musicianship or better guitar solos or longer songs etc, but for slices of fabulously effective songwriting I’d still pitch Blondie at their peak in with them. I’m sure lots of rock fans would turn their noses up at that - or go for a group like Talking Heads instead maybe.

(It’s funny I rate lots of what I would class as ‘solo’ American artists higher than some of their bands - Bruce, Dylan, Prince, Madonna, etc)

That first VH album is something else mind ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.