Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 15 - Reinvention & Renewal - threespires (pg 327)

For the penultimate song on the playlist, I’m a bit curious to see how this local band goes over or if/how much they’ve been heard before. They're supposedly big on the European continent.

The Connells from down the road in Raleigh have been together since the mid ‘80s, but made it big in the early '90’s with this iconic song that reflects on the passing of time and how people they used to know have changed. The video for this was song was filmed at my kids’ rival high school with members of that class from that year.

'74–'75 – The Connells
I've heard that song before, which is a good one, but nothing else by them.

For the penultimate song on the playlist, I’m a bit curious to see how this local band goes over or if/how much they’ve been heard before. They're supposedly big on the European continent.

The Connells from down the road in Raleigh have been together since the mid ‘80s, but made it big in the early '90’s with this iconic song that reflects on the passing of time and how people they used to know have changed. The video for this was song was filmed at my kids’ rival high school with members of that class from that year.

'74–'75 – The Connells
I loved this song when it was released and bought the album on the back of it, not played it for years though.

And what playlist isn't complete without the storytelling from John Prine?

Released off of Prine’s last studio album in 2018, this song really just grabbed me from the beginning. The images this song presents are very striking in the coming to an ending and the things and feelings we associate with that. John even slips in references to Easter, Valentines Day, and New Years Eve. A fitting final album from the master storyteller. “Just come on home”.

Summer’s End – John Prine

(the playlist ends at a respectful 2 hours 58 minutes, not bad for a good road trip coming up!)

Excellent track to end with, John Prine was a master storyteller and a sad loss.

All these playlists a great for road trips , I’ve got a 3 hour one in Florida next month.

I've heard that song before, which is a good one, but nothing else by them.

Having recognised it, I assumed it must have charted in the UK and it looks like it did twice and actually got to #14 so it must have had a decent amount of airplay. One hit wonders from what I can gather (at least here anyway). Just had a listen to a couple of their other songs, quite pleasant and arguably better than 74-75. In some ways surprising they didn't have more success but might simply be not enough going on to really stand out from the crowd.

Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Time

There are some excellent songs on this playlist, my favourites being those I'd heard before.

"Spring (Among The Living)" - I only have one album by MMJ and The Waterfall is it. I love this song - a spooky atmosphere runs through it and the guitar during the intro is great. The change in intensity after the first verse is nice too.

"Time Stand Still" is my favourite Rush song.

"Time" by Pink Floyd is, of course, a classic.

"Nothing Ever Happens" - Del Amitri - fabulous song performed by a British band playing proper music when most others were losing their minds over the inferior Madchester scene :)
I love the accordion on this and the words are sublime.

"'74-'75" - The Connells - I first heard this on a NOW-xx CD that my wife bought in the 90s.

Of the songs that I hadn't heard before, I enjoyed the following the most:-

"The Moment" - Toad The Wet Sprocket
"Captured by the Moment" - an average song elevated by Steve Perry's tremendous vocals.
"Quittin' Time" - Zach Bryan - banjo and fiddle - what's not to like

Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Time

There are some excellent songs on this playlist, my favourites being those I'd heard before.

"Spring (Among The Living)" - I only have one album by MMJ and The Waterfall is it. I love this song - a spooky atmosphere runs through it and the guitar during the intro is great. The change in intensity after the first verse is nice too.
Nice, glad you enjoyed hearing that again. MMJ have better albums, so I'd go back to Z or Evil Urges (my favourite) if you are so inclined.
Of the songs that I hadn't heard before, I enjoyed the following the most:-

"The Moment" - Toad The Wet Sprocket
I will admit that as much as I like this, I was curious on your and another poster wearing his sunglasses this week in the Album Review' take and if you were going to recognise this one. :-)

I saw TTWS on this tour on their initial comeback and it really was an enjoyable song and performance.

Really enjoyed the opening 5, and apart from Culture Club, all right up my street. Will have to use the b&w ruling and give Toad the Wet a proper listen to, if they appear one more time.

Beyond that, my favourites were Future Islands, Edwin Sarr and Whiskey Town. All them witches is a band I like so was good to see that in there. Dan Winson's cover was good but no patch on the original imo. Besnard Lakes, another with the same mood and pace I was going for with the Brand New song, both taking cue from the Pink Floyd song. The rest, a lot of goood bigger hits that were welcome.

Really enjoyed the opening 5, and apart from Culture Club, all right up my street.
Completely understood, and passing that feedback along to the missus ;-)

It wasn't my cup of tea back in the day, but I had a whole pot to drink back then.
Will have to use the b&w ruling and give Toad the Wet a proper listen to, if they appear one more time.
Challenge accepted? ;-) Will have to see what the next theme from @OB1 brings us.

Last edited:
Reactions: OB1
Nice, glad you enjoyed hearing that again. MMJ have better albums, so I'd go back to Z or Evil Urges (my favourite) if you are so inclined.

I will admit that as much as I like this, I was curious on your and another poster wearing his sunglasses this week in the Album Review' take and if you were going to recognise this one. :-)

I saw TTWS on this tour on their initial comeback and it really was an enjoyable song and performance.
Still not listened to much TTWS, apart from the album the last track on the recent playlist was from.

Will definitely have a listen when time allows.

I enjoy these playlists but there’s only so much time in the day. Listening to full albums based on selections here is difficult time wise once the album thread is factored in!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.