Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 16 - Spaced Out - RobMCFC (pg 338)

As for ones that didn't make the cut for me...

Firstly a few very obvious ones, discounted because they were too obvious

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Ewan MacColl or Roberta Flack
(I could happily make a case for this being the greatest love song ever written)

The Beach Boys – God Only Knows
(The other record I could happily make a case for being the greatest love song ever written)

Echo and The Bunnymen – The Killing Moon
(Got a brilliantly romantic vibe to it)

Otis Redding – pretty much everything he ever recorded
(thought about nominating Tramp as an example of when love is less than smooth)

Death Cab For Cutie - I will Follow You Into The Dark
(I like love songs with a bit of existential angst in them)

A few (maybe) less obvious ones that crossed my mind..

Vic Chesnut – Flirted With You All My Life
(Not a love song at all but sort of is. Subverts the use of a ‘love song’ for other purposes)

The Black Keys – Tighten Up
(If it’s a blusey love song it’s got to have the word “ache” in there – them’s the rules)

Nick Cave / PJ Jarvey – Henry Lee
(By definition most murder ballads are love songs)

Dar Williams – The One Who Knows
(Somewhat impressively written by someone who at the time didn’t have children of her own)

Big Mama Thornton – Hound Dog
(How that song is supposed to sound - again when love breaks down)

Loads of others but we'd be here all week!
Given that my selections performed terribly in last years Blue Moon Cup, I’ve brought in a revolutionary coach with a new vision and I’m confident for this year’s competition.

The reason for mentioning this is because one of my 22-song squad is somewhere in your list.

Given that my selections performed terribly in last years Blue Moon Cup, I’ve brought in a revolutionary coach with a new vision and I’m confident for this year’s competition.

The reason for mentioning this is because one of my 22-song squad is somewhere in your list.

Hmmm, so do I try and work out which one or look to outsource the job to B&W who I think would be much better at it than me? I'm assuming it's in the obvious list because the cup competition clearly showed us that obvious/classic is the way to go.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so do I try and work out which one or look to outsource the job to B&W who I think would be much better at it than me?
Deep down, you know the answer. If you don't, I''ll put it up and give you credit at the end, but I'll defer to you if you put it up. ;-)
I'm assuming it's in the obvious list because the cup competition clearly showed us that obvious/classic is the way to go.
Indeed!

Hmmm, so do I try and work out which one or look to outsource the job to B&W who I think would be much better at it than me? I'm assuming it's in the obvious list because the cup competition clearly showed us that obvious/classic is the way to go.
Indeed.

My new coach has set the ground rules.

1. Don’t pick Tom Petty.
2. Don’t pick Crowded House.
3. Make sure you pick something your Granny knows.

He also advised me to pick at least three Manchester bands. We had a disagreement there and he was nearly fired on the spot.

Second pick for me is a showcase for Sandy Denny who was fronting Fairport Convention at the time ( which also included a young Richard Thompson).

The album, Unhalfbricking and the song "Who knows where the time goes"

Strangely I've never really thought of it as a love song, it's so beautiful it sort of transcends a single theme.

Strangely I've never really thought of it as a love song, it's so beautiful it sort of transcends a single theme.
I think it aligns the ebb and flow of love with the seasons. Just my take and I base that on the final lines of the song.

And I am not alone
While my love is near me
I know it will be so
Until it's time to go

So come the storms of winter
And then the birds in spring again
I have no fear of time
For who knows how my love grows?
And who knows where the time goes?

My final selection is something that was played at my wedding reception during dinner. It is not a wedding dance song, but one of my favorites of all time. It wasn't initially easy to talk my better half into a song from this band, but the song speaks for itself, and the fact it was under 5 minutes helped too (unlike most from this band).

This song is all Richard Wakeman and Jon Anderson, and this was on the one and only record with 4/5ths of Yes and Tony Levin from King Crimson that actually was released in 1989 (I do remember that ;-).

"The Meeting" - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Last edited:
Optional listening, that would have made the cut had it not been for a quirk of timing.

The boy who blocked his own shot - Brand New.

A simple-ish song with a quirk or two, particularly towards the end. Which seems to be a thing with love songs. Del Amitri's tell her this is a lovely wee song too worth of a mention.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.