Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 17 - Alcohol - Mancitydoogle (pg 344)

Nice idea - I had a similar idea. The fact that you can use all sorts of chronology opens this up and the inclusion of seasons is nice. Lots of ideas and I'll have a think first.

Nice idea - I had a similar idea. The fact that you can use all sorts of chronology opens this up and the inclusion of seasons is nice. Lots of ideas and I'll have a think first.
The, uh, time fit perfectly during this window of clock changes. And I won't say how much Cyndi Lauper's track from the last playlist inspired me too. ;-)

I'm glad you mentioned Placebo as I was going to post separately about this track and then forgot.

Not sure how, but outside of these playlists I think I've managed to (unintentionally) avoid their all their music pretty much since Nancy Boy came out all those years ago. I remember at the time of that song thinking that they'd got what they wanted in terms of a bit of manufactured controversy and the whole thing struck me as a bit juvenile and so I think I must have subconsciously dismissed them out of hand. However this weeks track and the one on the previous playlist suggests to me that it was probably unfair to do that.

They are a very good band imo. And coming up to 30 years since that song/album, and still going, so I think it was more than manufactured controversy. Which if you think back to that setting, wasn't particularly really a thing then. That said, they probably Are a bit more of a greatest hits band with great songs amongst multiple albums, rather than standout whole albums. They are probably not as challenging as they'd maybe think themselves to be either their stuff is reasonably radio friedly. Their latest album is as good a place to start as any imo.

A few brief comments on the previous playlist.

Mostly songs I know that I liked best.

Cindi Lauder: “Time after Time”. Simply one of the loveliest songs.

INXS: “Never Tear Us Apart”.

Van Halen: “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”. I would have nominated this but was beaten to the punch. A staggeringly good rock song. The dynamics. The guitar was extraordinary when it was released and still is.

Interesting to contrast the production of the VH track with:

Doobie Bothers: “Long Train Runnin’”

Both are produced by Ted Templeman.

U2: “All I Want is You”. Cinematic strings.

Talk Talk: “I Don’t Believe in You”

Thunder: “When Love Walked In”

Y&T: “Forever”

ABC: “All of My Heart”. Trevor Horn’s sumptuous production.

Frank Wilson: “Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)”. Simply joyous.

New to me:

Richard Thompson: “Read About Love”

Kaleo: “I Can’t Go on Without You”. Builds nicely, lands gently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.