Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours

Thanks to @RobMCFC for this topic and keeping the spirit of what was intended on the playlist. I know a few may have BLUE right by the rules. Also nice to see a few end of playlist reviews back too. Guess most were hungover prior. ;-)

Of the first five, the Jayhawks "Blue" that I was familiar with, was the pick for me. Lou Gramm's "Midnight Blue" was a nice mid 80's nostalgia memory for me, in owning that album/cassette at the time. I hadn't listened to that in years. I enjoyed "Apple Green" probably the most of the new material, while "Yellow Moon" was a nice funky soulful song by the Neville Brothers that was very nice bass led, and reminded me of New Orleans visits. Even Taylor's "Red" was a nice tune, so it was 5 for 5 with me on the initial offering. I was a bit surprised to not have "Blue Sky Mining" among the first group upon further reflection and consideration of my own songs, but I too just ran out of runway there. I've been relistening to that enjoyable album since.

On the songs new to me, "Haint Blue" by Bell X1 was the big winner for me. Sounds like this Irish band spans many genres and one I'll be checking out some more given other bands they've been compared to. Thanks to @lastmanback on another fantastic new suggestion.

Other new songs I enjoyed:
  • "Blue" - A Perfect Circle (nice tune from the supergroup)
  • "Into the Blue" - McCusker, Drever, and Woomble (recognized the Idlewild sound)
  • "Blue Sky" - Patty Griffin
  • "Red Light Spells Danger" - Billy Ocean (missed this in its day, very nice tune taking me back!)
  • "Bleu" - Loraine Club (I did not have an electronic disco/groove band from Dublin on my shortlist, but this was a pleasant surprise too)
  • "Sproston Green" - The Charlatans
  • "Powder Blue" - Elbow (hadn't heard their first album prior, need to check out)
  • "Yellow River" - Christie (could have sworn this was early Elton John on first listen)
  • "Goodbye Mr Blue" - Father John Misty
  • "Green Grow the Rashes O" - Eddi Reader (not to be confused with the REM redo)
  • "Reds In My Bed" - 10cc (another song from long ago not heard, very nice tune)

Of the songs I knew, the winner was clear, "Suite Madame Blue" - Styx. This was an early staple of my favourite US rock bands, and pre-Tommy Shaw too. A great overall album I loved from my childhood. Dennis De Young could rock more than just the ballads, as heard here.

Other enjoyed well known songs:
  • "Blues Run the Game" - Jackson C. Frank
  • "Red Eyes" - The War On Drugs
  • "Blue" - Joni Mitchell
  • "Still Got The Blues" - Gary Moore
  • "Red" - Sammy Hagar, the Red Rocker
  • "Jack-in-the-Green" - Jethro Tull
Completely overlooked “Blue Sky Mine”. Could have had “The Rivers Runs Red” from the same album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.