Bluemoon Angling Thread

Just back from a trip to my mates in Yarm, fishing the River Tees. We did the afternoon/evening on Saturday swim-hopping a long section of the Tees with the ultralight gear. Had a number of small to medium perch, I lost a really good one at the net.

Got up at dawn and went up river and got the centre pin and 15 foot float rod, waded waist deep to find a trickling leak around about the bollocks. Great. Stuck it out for a couple of hours and had a nice mixed bag of perch, chublets, dace and two lovely roach pushing a pound. The next couple of hours I went for bigger fish on leger, trying worms and meat over a bed of hemp. One big take missed and lots of perchy rattles and that was it, on the road home at 1.30pm.

Last Thursday in a quick post-work local joint the perch weren’t active but I had an absolutely tiny pike which I quite liked.

It really is a great time to fish the rivers, or anywhere now. Summer is just tipping into autumn so the fish are starting to feed up for winter. The weather is still warm so they are very active. It’s nice conditions on the bank, the mornings are later and evenings earlier so it’s not as demanding timewise. Rains are starting and the barbel will be feeding too. Get out there if you can!

It really is a great time to fish the rivers, or anywhere now. Summer is just tipping into autumn so the fish are starting to feed up for winter. The weather is still warm so they are very active. It’s nice conditions on the bank, the mornings are later and evenings earlier so it’s not as demanding timewise. Rains are starting and the barbel will be feeding too. Get out there if you can!

Wish you'd tell the fish in the Avon that !! Struggling today !

Interesting short session with the ultralight gear last night. It was bright so I went back to the bridge with no takers. Looks like they’ve “done the off” from this area now. I walked to another area I’ve had a few takes from. With ultralight gear you become totally sensitive to everything.if the lure picks up a leaf you feel it. If there’s a loop in the line you feel it on the cast etc. As I was casting I could feel something running through the rod rings just after the cast. On inspection it was a tiny knot of line, not in the line itself but from a previously tied knot on the trace swivel. The only way to remove it was to push it the 5 yards or so down the mainline back to the swivel. So I cast out about ten yards and was winding back very slowly whilst running the line through my fingers at the bottom rod ring. Was just finishing this exercise, looked down and there right at my feet was a lovely browny red pike inspecting my pathetic lure which had weed all over it and was just sort of jinking about a bit. A lovely “pike shock” which is what predator fishing is about. He spooked. I cast around, changed the lure but nothing.

Moved on and fished another couple of areas for one missed hit but on the way back I decided to try the pike peg again with the original lure. Half a dozen casts for nothing and, as always I literally thought “one last cast”, lobbed it out in front and Just before I lifted it out my heart leapt when he appeared again like lightning and inhaled the lure at my feet. A strike, an explosive close range tug of war and I squeezed the most immaculate pike into the net. He went just under 12lb and was a really pleasing quick-hit fish on the perch gear. The hook had bent almost straight too and fell out in the net so I rode my luck.

Some “proper” fishing at last this evening when I’m going after the Ribble barbel.

Attachments

• A27E1603-45E9-44BD-B2FC-9F4EBAB84D46.jpeg
    A27E1603-45E9-44BD-B2FC-9F4EBAB84D46.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 2C2260C5-D39A-4CAD-93B8-D549A46E9A38.jpeg
    2C2260C5-D39A-4CAD-93B8-D549A46E9A38.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 23
Interesting short session with the ultralight gear last night. It was bright so I went back to the bridge with no takers. Looks like they’ve “done the off” from this area now. I walked to another area I’ve had a few takes from. With ultralight gear you become totally sensitive to everything.if the lure picks up a leaf you feel it. If there’s a loop in the line you feel it on the cast etc. As I was casting I could feel something running through the rod rings just after the cast. On inspection it was a tiny knot of line, not in the line itself but from a previously tied knot on the trace swivel. The only way to remove it was to push it the 5 yards or so down the mainline back to the swivel. So I cast out about ten yards and was winding back very slowly whilst running the line through my fingers at the bottom rod ring. Was just finishing this exercise, looked down and there right at my feet was a lovely browny red pike inspecting my pathetic lure which had weed all over it and was just sort of jinking about a bit. A lovely “pike shock” which is what predator fishing is about. He spooked. I cast around, changed the lure but nothing.

Moved on and fished another couple of areas for one missed hit but on the way back I decided to try the pike peg again with the original lure. Half a dozen casts for nothing and, as always I literally thought “one last cast”, lobbed it out in front and Just before I lifted it out my heart leapt when he appeared again like lightning and inhaled the lure at my feet. A strike, an explosive close range tug of war and I squeezed the most immaculate pike into the net. He went just under 12lb and was a really pleasing quick-hit fish on the perch gear. The hook had bent almost straight too and fell out in the net so I rode my luck.

Some “proper” fishing at last this evening when I’m going after the Ribble barbel.

Keep it coming. This is inspiring me to have another go at the Zander on the Grand Union near my house.

Did you get a barbel ?

Final of the Scottish Natonal today chaps. Wish me luck as I will surely need it. Practice on Saturday and then yesterday was a mixed bag. Saturday was rock hard despite seemingly perfect conditions. Yesterday fished well under similar conditions. Highlight of the day was this beauty which took a shield bug fly in about 4 feet of water. I saw it first when it was at least six feet away from the fly, breezed up to it and took it first time. Lovely.
1631944861137.jpeg

Final of the Scottish Natonal today chaps. Wish me luck as I will surely need it. Practice on Saturday and then yesterday was a mixed bag. Saturday was rock hard despite seemingly perfect conditions. Yesterday fished well under similar conditions. Highlight of the day was this beauty which took a shield bug fly in about 4 feet of water. I saw it first when it was at least six feet away from the fly, breezed up to it and took it first time. Lovely.
View attachment 26501

All the best. As my 92 year old mum says to me every time I set off for a City match; "Mind you win"

View attachment 26501
Best of luck to you today pal. Really hope the fishing God’s are smiling in you and you come home with a trophy. Is there a decent prize? What’s the format? Just a fixed time fishing? Do you measure results in weight or length?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.