Bluemoon Angling Thread

Still no more fish but it's absolutely pissing down and the river has risen 6" and still rising so that's a good sign. The 3oz leads I had on are now creeping their way down the swim so I'm putting 4oz grippers on now. I don't like to nail it down too heavy if I don't need to.

Woke up for a piss about 1-30am and reeled in to re-bait. Fuck knows how long I'd had a daft 3lb bream on my bottom rod for as it didn't even give me a single bleep. At least I haven't blanked I suppose : /

Been awake a couple of hours now and was just about to nod off until I remembered I'd brought some sliced corned beef and a jar of piccalilli. Time for a butty and a brew I think, and I better check If I have another stealth like bream on.

Love reading this. A night in a bivvy in the pissing rain eating cold corned beef sandwiches with piccallili at 2 in the morning is my idea of hell. Keep it up !!

Had a session at Coldingham on Thursday. It rained from start to finish, at times like sitting in a power shower which certainly gave my new Halkon Hunts a good test. There was little moving early on so had a lure on and soon had a Rainbow on a yellow dancer. It wasn't long until I saw the odd fish start to take stuff on the surface so on went a dry fly - a grunter. After 20 minutes or so of fan casting, gentle drifting and focusing on the single dry 10 yards in front of the boat, a lovely take. Gentle but confident, the fly was sucked down with minimum fuss. For once, I didn't snatch at it and a count of one, two, lift the rod and fish on. What followed was brilliant. Another nine fish on dries and emergers, the first time I have caught a 'grand slam' of Rainbow, Brown and Blue trout. The Blue was the prettiest fish I have caught in a good while, fin and scale perfect with silver rays in its tail.

1635597383135.jpeg

1635597448915.jpeg

Oh, and my Halkon Hunts kept me dry and warm. V impressed.

Love reading this. A night in a bivvy in the pissing rain eating cold corned beef sandwiches with piccallili at 2 in the morning is my idea of hell. Keep it up !!
You know what mate, I used to read this thread and think I used to be an angler. Talking the talk without walking the walk. I think this thread has inspired me to get off my arse and get on the bank so I have. 5th Trent session of the season and I'm loving every minute of it!

I've recently beat my PB barbel by almost 2lb and if I continue fishing on this magnificent river it will surely go again. The river has risen about a foot now so I'm re-baiting on both rods every 30 minutes or so until about 9pm. Been to the tackle shop and bought some 20mm boilies to try and put the bream off taking my bait. That said, I will welcome a double figure bream as I haven't caught a 10lb+ one yet. But hopefully I'll catch old Mr whiskers tonight.

Time for a re-bait, then I'll have a corned beef butty. May even crack a couple of tinnies open and then cook sausage mash n' beans.

Living the angling dream, whatever the weather: )

You know what mate, I used to read this thread and think I used to be an angler. Talking the talk without walking the walk. I think this thread has inspired me to get off my arse and get on the bank so I have. 5th Trent session of the season and I'm loving every minute of it!

I've recently beat my PB barbel by almost 2lb and if I continue fishing on this magnificent river it will surely go again. The river has risen about a foot now so I'm re-baiting on both rods every 30 minutes or so until about 9pm. Been to the tackle shop and bought some 20mm boilies to try and put the bream off taking my bait. That said, I will welcome a double figure bream as I haven't caught a 10lb+ one yet. But hopefully I'll catch old Mr whiskers tonight.

Time for a re-bait, then I'll have a corned beef butty. May even crack a couple of tinnies open and then cook sausage mash n' beans.

Living the angling dream, whatever the weather: )
agree totally, i was happy sat on a carp puddle thinking i was the bees knees , yourself and the others woke me up, a canal perch weighing 1lb = 15lb puddle carp imo

agree totally, i was happy sat on a carp puddle thinking i was the bees knees , yourself and the others woke me up, a canal perch weighing 1lb = 15lb puddle carp imo
I agree mate. Maybe you should try fishing rivers because you'll feel like you've earned your fish, unlike all the commercial waters stuffed with ravenous fish waiting to take any Noddy's bait.

I woke up about 11:20 pm by a few single bleeps thinking it was weed on the line. The river is up and coloured, pretty perfect water conditions apart from a starlit sky with no breeze. Overcast and slight breeze would have been better but hey ho

As I was walking to my top rod to reel in for a re-cast my bottom rod absolutely screemed off. Fortunately for me I was at my rods because I'd cast it downstream only 2m off an overhanging willow tree. Good job I had my 2.25lb tc top on to trustful Fox 13lb Camou line because this beast was heading right towards the roots and hidden snags. It stripped about 5m of line before I tightened my clutch hard! My heart was thumping as it wanted to take line but sometimes you have to show a big fish who's boss sharpish because when a fish finds the sanctuary of a snag it can often be curtains, and the last thing I wanted was to pull for a break with it still on the hook.

I steered it clear and into open water and had to slacken off the clutch because it was bending my rod at the butt and pulling hard! A couple of minutes later I slid my net under a short but plump barbel I guestimated around 10lb. As I took from it's bottom lip and lifted it up It felt heavier so I tared my weigh-sling to zero the scales and it went to bang on 11lb, get in you absolute beauty!

I walked it to the guy in the next peg and he took some nice pics of it's magnificence on his phone. I don't know why but I grabbed my spare phone which doesn't have a good camera. Didn't want to have it out of the water too long so he took pics on his phone and asked for my FB so he can send them to there. I'll upload a pic when I get time because my main phone has no data and my spare hasn't got FB on it.

I slipped it back in the water and as soon as I steadied it to get it's breath back it swam off strongly to the murky depths. My glugged 20mm Sticky The Krill boile was the bait, at least it wasn't another dullard bream that doesn't realise when it's hooked.

I'm about to celebrate with a tin of ale and another corned beef and piccalilli butty. Fuck it, I'm gonna put a double slice of corned beef on and an extra dollop of piccalilli. Well chuffed now, and unlike most on here I'm not sulking over City getting beat : )

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.