Bluemoon Angling Thread

It was a great trip and although I only caught Barbel on day one I was well happy with the trip.Considering the weather and river levels. That's the biggest fish of my Angling lifetime and my first over 20, in fact my biggest fish came out of the Basin Pool at Whitmore at 17lb so my PB up by almost 10lb.Yes, the poor chub or it may have been a roach cos we had a few out is sadly no longer of this world. RIP. Strange take though, in my experience when a Pike strikes a hooked fish it's usually a visual thing, you see the strike ,you see the swirl especially in shallow water but this one no signs whatsoever, it just went solid and then game on.
Thats just reminded me of a few years ago on the Severn near Shrewsbury, I was reeling in a small roach when a jack pike took the roach, so I was then reeling in a mangled roach & a jack pike when the biggest pike I have ever seen had a go at the jack pike, it couldnt get a proper grip saw me, looked me in the eye & swam off,
I was quite releived the big pike didnt hang on to the little pike because I had no idea how I would land it, you did really well on such light gear to get it on the bank?
Did you hook it or was it just determined not to let go of the chub/roach?

Thats just reminded me of a few years ago on the Severn near Shrewsbury, I was reeling in a small roach when a jack pike took the roach, so I was then reeling in a mangled roach & a jack pike when the biggest pike I have ever seen had a go at the jack pike, it couldnt get a proper grip saw me, looked me in the eye & swam off,
I was quite releived the big pike didnt hang on to the little pike because I had no idea how I would land it, you did really well on such light gear to get it on the bank?
Did you hook it or was it just determined not to let go of the chub/roach?
Luckily two of us were fishing the gravel, so my mate netted it for me, but neither of us had wellies on, just boots. With the water being so shallow off the gravel he had to walk out about 3 yds to get near, so soggy socks . Then to put the rascal back it was my turn to wade out to the deeper water, but I had to stand in it for about 15 mins till he decided to swim off. No ,no signs of the poor fish but the size14's was perfectly placed in the side of the pike's mouth. I could see it easily. Was I going anywhere near it? Was I f**k

Back to fresh water, didn’t catch a thing

A8-CF20-A5-31-F9-4-DED-BD0-B-009-DBB991925.jpg

I had a trip back to my Mr Crabtree river last night. An overcast night with rain forecast, things looked good. I fished a very light, single rod set up with a small pellet on a hair, baiting with loose feed pellets.

First cast, the tip betrayed interest immediately and then a wrap around, and it’s always a proper tackle testing tug of war on this river with roots and snags everywhere. Everything held and I landed a barbel around 4lb or so. Next cast and I was in again. This time it was a clonking small river chub. Great start. Over the next couple of hours I missed a few lunging bites, including one as soon as it hit the deck, which I assume were more chub. Then, just as the rain clouds gathered at dusk, I hit into another fighting fit barbel.

Rain was starting so I declared after that one. I’m enjoying the intimate nature of this small river fishing but The Ribble is definitely next.C7711212-CAF6-4AF7-8113-252F71344CBF.jpeg99556B98-BA62-4B6E-B0E0-180E828F0175.jpeg

I had a trip back to my Mr Crabtree river last night. An overcast night with rain forecast, things looked good. I fished a very light, single rod set up with a small pellet on a hair, baiting with loose feed pellets.

First cast, the tip betrayed interest immediately and then a wrap around, and it’s always a proper tackle testing tug of war on this river with roots and snags everywhere. Everything held and I landed a barbel around 4lb or so. Next cast and I was in again. This time it was a clonking small river chub. Great start. Over the next couple of hours I missed a few lunging bites, including one as soon as it hit the deck, which I assume were more chub. Then, just as the rain clouds gathered at dusk, I hit into another fighting fit barbel.

Rain was starting so I declared after that one. I’m enjoying the intimate nature of this small river fishing but The Ribble is definitely next.View attachment 48276View attachment 48277

How big is it compared with, say, the Dane ?

It's almost exactly like The Dane in every way. 20 + years ago I learned how to catch barbel on The Dane using identical methods so this is real retro fishing for me.

Superb. That was the picture I'd formed in my mind's eye.

I've been doing a bit of exploring myself on the Avon 5 minutes from my house. Spent an afternoon carving a path through head-high nettles and creating a swim before baiting it up. I've had some very good bream about half a mile downstream on the popular stretches but I know, from ten years ago, that there's a deep pool where I have made my swim. Only thing is, there's a weir in between.

Anyway, next morning I was up early and blanked. Going to keep at it though as I had a good carp, of all things, when I used to fish it and, like most of us, I enjoy untapped water.

I've been doing a bit of exploring myself on the Avon 5 minutes from my house. Spent an afternoon carving a path through head-high nettles and creating a swim before baiting it up. I've had some very good bream about half a mile downstream on the popular stretches but I know, from ten years ago, that there's a deep pool where I have made my swim. Only thing is, there's a weir in between.

Anyway, next morning I was up early and blanked. Going to keep at it though as I had a good carp, of all things, when I used to fish it and, like most of us, I enjoy untapped water.
Proper pioneering stuff. Keep us informed NN.

Hello buddy, question for you. Do you have a BAA card and do you or have you ever fished the Lower Avon between the M5 road bridge and Tewkesbury.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.