Bluemoon Angling Thread

Lovely bit of water that. How does that work though. Do you cast to rising fish or blind cast? Have you got an oarsman to keep the boat exactly where you need it? I can imagine fishing from a boat in fast moving water is quite challenging.

20200913-111955.jpg

This is how the boat is laid out

Went today, had a few hours at a fishery about 30mins away that I havnt fished before, just needed to go somewhere different. Wind was blowing and there was the family from hell there too, how any parents can threaten/use such foul language at their 6 year old I will never know. Kept well away and found a quiet backwater on the match lake, simple ledger rig against the lillys just off the island, sweetcorn and some IMG_0365.JPGIMG_0366.JPGIMG_0367.JPGkrill flavoured meat I had left from the other night.It took about 40 mins of feeding small amounts often to get em going, had crucians,small commons/mirror carp and the odd tench on the corn with cracking easy to hit bites. Tried the meat on the hook and the bream started showing, 2-3lb but cagy bites and they dont fight,just give in after the first dive, the usual sample pics attached. Sun came round from behind the trees and blinded my rod tip view and I started missing more bites than was hitting so called it a day. Quite enjoyed it though, relaxing and somewhere new, only a fiver too,so not grumbling. Might struggle to go this next week so wanted to get a session in.

I went to The Ribble again yesterday to a stretch upstream I haven’t fished for a few years. I wanted to try rolling meat there because it has some long stretches of gravel where I was going to walk along with the trundling meat, enabling me to explore more water. It was a bit of a disaster: the wind was howling upstream, really howling, and I couldn’t feel the meat bouncing on the bottom. I did miss one bite early on but really struggled. The deeper water is at the far bank here and it’s very wide, which exacerbated the problem. The bottom is littered with snags and the bait kept getting stuck. I didn’t have my proper barbel tackle with me, as I’m travelling light. After a couple of hours I abandoned it and set up a straight leger rig. I had two casts in two swims and lost the rig both times. Didn’t have any leads left so that was the end of the trip. Lessons learnt.

My mind is starting to turn to pike now as autumn is around the corner. I’ve said it before: fish to the seasons and you never get bored or stuck in a routine and are always in with a chance. For me:

Winter: chub, pike and grayling
Spring: Carp and perch
Summer: Carp and barbel
Autumn: barbel, perch and pike

Flying home tomorrow and found out my fishing trip to Portugal in October has had to be put back to May as my mate can't do quarantine. Planning to do a tour of Shropshire and the Severn next month instead.

Much as I love a couple of weeks in the sun with the girlfriend, can't wait to get back to Autumn and Winter fishing. All these posts have heightened my anticipation.

I have been thinking that I ought to be losing my river barbel virginity, so did a quick search for free river fishing not too far away. Didnt expect much but came across some pegs on the River Dee at Holt/farndon, so a couple of saturdays ago took the missus out for a mystery drive, and by utter coincidence found myself at Holt/Farndon. Took a few pics, first three are under the roadbridge at Holt( about 200 yard stretch). Last pic is one of about twelve concrete stages at Farndon with a free carpark right behind,but only got one pic(the last one) as my fcking battery was flat in my camera.Anyway it looked good and I spoke to a couple of guys there who said there are grayling and even the odd salmon as well as the usual river species. An early enough start should secure a decent peg, so I might be bending the ear of one or two of you guys for tips to make sure I score first time(if thats possible). If I get the chance to go that is.IMG_0348.JPGIMG_0349.JPGIMG_0350.JPGIMG_0351.JPG

had a session yesterday, i got there early ,my mate had to drop his daughter off at work so I save him a decent looking peg, lovely late summers day, little bit warm for my liking but hey ho, straight in with a decent looking carp approximately 4lb, then my friend arrived, and smashed it, I had to net all of his fish because they were clonkers, fish after fish, net, weigh, photo, haha, I ended up getting a couple more 4ish lb carp, few small bream, and a tench which I was well chuffed with, not had a tench for what seems years, oh and i bought the fuckers breakfast : )

He got a lay in,he got a lakeside butler, a dream fishing day and a free breakfast, **** haha

had a session yesterday, i got there early ,my mate had to drop his daughter off at work so I save him a decent looking peg, lovely late summers day, little bit warm for my liking but hey ho, straight in with a decent looking carp approximately 4lb, then my friend arrived, and smashed it, I had to net all of his fish because they were clonkers, fish after fish, net, weigh, photo, haha, I ended up getting a couple more 4ish lb carp, few small bream, and a tench which I was well chuffed with, not had a tench for what seems years, oh and i bought the fuckers breakfast : )

He got a lay in,he got a lakeside butler, a dream fishing day and a free breakfast, **** haha

Let me know when you need another friend to come fishing with you,will you pay for the ticket to fish as well ? :)

I have been thinking that I ought to be losing my river barbel virginity, so did a quick search for free river fishing not too far away. Didnt expect much but came across some pegs on the River Dee at Holt/farndon, so a couple of saturdays ago took the missus out for a mystery drive, and by utter coincidence found myself at Holt/Farndon. Took a few pics, first three are under the roadbridge at Holt( about 200 yard stretch). Last pic is one of about twelve concrete stages at Farndon with a free carpark right behind,but only got one pic(the last one) as my fcking battery was flat in my camera.Anyway it looked good and I spoke to a couple of guys there who said there are grayling and even the odd salmon as well as the usual river species. An early enough start should secure a decent peg, so I might be bending the ear of one or two of you guys for tips to make sure I score first time(if thats possible). If I get the chance to go that is.View attachment 2482View attachment 2483View attachment 2484View attachment 2485
my tip is, whatever you do, don’t try to lose your barbel virginity on The Dee. There are hardly any. You need to learn the ropes on a river with some in, as you don’t learn without getting bites. If you don’t mind travelling The Severn is ideal for your purposes. Otherwise The Dane has a lot more than The Dee.

20200913-111955.jpg

This is how the boat is laid out
Thanks. So I see where the oarsman sits. Does the fisherman cast from the front or the back? Looks like you have a lot of storage bins. Are they sufficient for all your kit?

Very different to our boats which are designed to drift downwind with two or sometimes even three anglers.

Lomond 3 man boat seat DIY advice | Fly Fishing Forum UK

Thats fairly typical. Room for two anglers plus their fishing boxes, bags and assorted paraphernalia. In anything other than a gentle breeze the boat drift will be controlled by a drogue slung out the back. As there will be numerous boats on a fishery (sometimes up to 50), there is a set of etiquette guidelines which ensure that for example, boats keep their distance from other boats and bank anglers. With up to three anglers casting from a boat, care and timing can be important if you don't want to spend your day untangling your leader from that of your boat partner. Some fisheries allow anchoring, some insist its drift only.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.