Bluemoon Fitness Thread

FantasyIreland said:
Feed-The-Goat said:
I didn't get any of that, but to answer your question in regards to am I overweight, yes. Do I drink, yes and have I seen my gp about it, no. I'm thinking of visiting him over it tho.

I'm not hugely overweight, just abit of a beer gut, but also with moobs.

Sorry if i complicated my post.

Realistically your man boobs are probably just fatty tissue as a result of an unhealthy lifestyle.However,if after you have dieted down and got your Body fat % to an acceptable figure,you still have the problem,it may be more of a hormonal issue rather than just fat which has accumulated in that area.

You really need to clean up your diet and start exercising,in the first instance, so you know which of the above is the cause.

Can you feel any lumps or hard tissue around/under the nipple/breast region?

It's just fat around that region mate, no lumps or hardness. I'm gonna go to the gp and see what he says, and also take into account what you say about dieting etc.

Cheers pal.

Feed-The-Goat said:
It's just fat around that region mate, no lumps or hardness. I'm gonna go to the gp and see what he says, and also take into account what you say about dieting etc.

Cheers pal.

That's sounds good news then,good luck with the dieting.

KLF,i agree,you shouldn't really be suffering DOMS simply from running,my post was directed more at weight training.
Damo,where are you experiencing the pain? could it be an injury? or even cramp?

5x5 is an excellent choice for a programme.If done correctly it covers the major movements and recruits all muscles.It should also prevent overtraining,of which many 'newbies' and experienced guys,are guilty of.
Progress is also easy to monitor.

Damo,this may be useful -

This is a general strength routine. Nothing fancy. No fancy isolation work.

N.B. This routine is not designed for absolute beginners who have never set foot in the gym before. 3 months following a full body routine to acclimatise the body to the stress you will be placing on it is advised.

P.S. If you have never Squatted and Deadlifted before you must get someone to show you correct form.

Rep Range - I don't beleive this is hugely crucial. You can make progress on any rep range, but the ones I'll suggest are:

5x5 - 5 sets of 5 reps (Starr, Park, Ripptoe)
3x8-12 - 3 Sets, 8 to 12 Reps (Classic 'Hypertrophy' Routine)
20 Reppers - Best Suited For Squats, Deadlifts, SLDL and Chins only IMHO - 20 Reppers will need to be done Rest-Pause style as progress increases.

The assumption you know how to warm up correctly is being made here...

Recovery -

This can be done 3 times in a 7 day period if you can recover from it, or every 3rd day.

Bulking And Cutting -

Is this routine suitable for Bulking/Cutting? Yes, its fine for both. Training shouldn't differ when bulking or cutting. When bulking you should find that your lifts increase well each week. When cutting - well thats a different story. As you're in a calorific deficit you shouldn't expect to hit PBs or have the same level of progression as when bulking.

When cutting you may need to adjust the weights you are using in order to complete the workout. You should also ensure that you are doing the correct level of cardio and that you are dieting correctly.

The Routine -

Pull Day (Back and Bis)

Deadlifts
Chins (Palms facing) or Lat Pulldowns
Rows (Palms facing if you wish)

Legs

Squats
SLDL
Calf Raises (Optional)

Push Day (Chest,Tris and Shoulders)

Bench (Flat or Incline)
Overhead Press
Dips Or Close Grip Bench Press

The above is the 'core' of a good solid workout IMHO. You should look to add in flexability work, core work, and cardio.

The above routine shouldn't take you more than 45mins - it might not look much, but if you are lifting heavy, and especially if you are doing 20 Rep Rest-Pause Deadlifts/Squats it is quite taxing.

Progression

You have a number of options on this front.

Linear Progression

Aim to put at least 1kg onto each lift each week - you may need to invest in your own small plates (2x 0.5kg) for this - most gyms will only have 1.25kg as their smallest plates.

So assuming you could lift 100kgs on your Deadlift, a example 8 weeks would look like this:

Week 1: 5x5 @ 100kgs
Week 2: 5x5 @ 101kgs
Week 3: 5x5 @ 102.5kgs
Week 4: 5x5 @ 103.5kgs
Week 5(1): 5x5 @ 105kgs
Week 6(2): 5x5 @ 106kgs
Week 7(3): 5x5 @ 107.5kgs
Week 8(4): 5x5 @ 108.5kgs

N.B. At some point your linear progression will stop. At this point you may need to back down and 'take a run up' as per cyclic progression. By this stage however you should have gained enough knowledge to understand how your body is working and adjust appropriately.

Cyclic Progression

Working in 4 week cycles build up to hitting a PB in week 4, and then drop the weight back in week 1 of the next cycle by 10% - adding "5%" or 5kgs onto the bar each week.

So assuming you could lift 100kgs on your Deadlift, a example 8 weeks would look like this:

Week 1: 5x5 @ 90kgs
Week 2: 5x5 @ 95kgs
Week 3: 5x5 @ 100kgs
Week 4: 5x5 @ 105kgs (PB)
Week 5(1): 5x5 @ 95kgs
Week 6(2): 5x5 @ 100kgs
Week 7(3): 5x5 @ 105kgs
Week 8(4): 5x5 @ 110kgs

Recovery

The above progress cycles assume you can go 8 weeks solid without a week off. Thats not going to be the case for some people. You may want to alter your training cycles to somewhere in the 4 to 8 week range before taking a week off, and then re-starting the training cycle at the appropriate point. I find a reset after a week off is good, so assuming someone has a 4week cycle, an example 10 weeks would look as follows(based on our 100kg deadlift):

Week 1: 5x5 @ 90kgs
Week 2: 5x5 @ 95kgs
Week 3: 5x5 @ 100kgs
Week 4: 5x5 @ 105kgs (PB)
Week 5: Week off
Week 6(1): 5x5 @ 95kgs
Week 7(2): 5x5 @ 100kgs
Week 8(3): 5x5 @ 105kgs
Week 9(4): 5x5 @ 110kgs (PB)
Week 10: Week off

Weighlifting is a simple formula:

Correct Training + Progression + Diet + Rest = Results

5x5 link -
<a class="postlink" href="http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5#Bill_Starr.27s_Beginner_5x5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ginner_5x5</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.