Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

I still play it and have been a big fan of it and the band since the time of its release, which considering I was very much a heavy rock fan when it was released makes it exceptional from my point of view.

Of course it is an easy listen but so is the Lucinda Williams I currently have on the stereo; albeit a different sound. Lindsey Buckingham is an excellent individual guitarist, Stevie Nicks is one of the least bland voices in rock, Mick Fleetwood is a brilliant drummer. There's plenty going on musically but it is soft rock that sounds nice on your radio when you are driving down the PCH (or on the car stereo when you driving up the M6 on a sunny day as we did on Tuesday).

Oh Joy, Lucinda just woke up.

Yes, Stevie Nicks could certainly sing. I watched a documentary about them the other day, and it showed her giving it everything on Rhiannon.

Which Lucinda Williams album are you on? Car Wheels? How you getting on with it? Her voice is an acquired taste for some, but I’ve loved her for about 30 years!

If you'd have done this album poll a few years ago then this album would have definitely made 15-20th place. However, Liam G has a whiney grating voice that irks me more nowadays, hence this album not making my top 20.
I just think it has not aged well.
Looks like definitely has finished in a higher position which is good.
Never voted for any Oasis myself.

I still play it and have been a big fan of it and the band since the time of its release, which considering I was very much a heavy rock fan when it was released makes it exceptional from my point of view.

Of course it is an easy listen but so is the Lucinda Williams I currently have on the stereo; albeit a different sound. Lindsey Buckingham is an excellent individual guitarist, Stevie Nicks is one of the least bland voices in rock, Mick Fleetwood is a brilliant drummer. There's plenty going on musically but it is soft rock that sounds nice on your radio when you are driving down the PCH (or on the car stereo when you driving up the M6 on a sunny day as we did on Tuesday).

Oh Joy, Lucinda just woke up.
I always preferred Buckingham's contributions to the band over Nicks' and Chrissie McVie's but each managed some classics alongside their more basic offerings. Buckingham's solo albums are better than the other two's in my opinion, especially his later ones. I don't think he's generally regarded as a great guitarist (he usually scrapes in around the bottom of a top 100) but he's done alright.

Surely Hunky Dory is in the top five, it got 17pts from me, I can't believe I was the only one to vote for it, it only needed 6pts more to get in the top 100.

Should be but there are some other big omissions too so far.

I thought these 3 of mine would be top 100 material.

The Clash - The Clash
Dare - Human League
Regatta de Blanc - The Police

Yes, Stevie Nicks could certainly sing. I watched a documentary about them the other day, and it showed her giving it everything on Rhiannon.

Which Lucinda Williams album are you on? Car Wheels? How you getting on with it? Her voice is an acquired taste for some, but I’ve loved her for about 30 years!

Stephanie is my favourite female vocalist. The Rhiannon single was actually the first thing I bought by the band. She's a rock chick and at one point wanted to jump off the Mac ship and join Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. First time I saw F.Mac in concert was 1980 and they rocked more than many would think.

Funnily enough the last gig I went to was an all star tribute to Peter Green arranged by Mick F so most of the music was early Mac.

Yes I was just playing the second half of Car Wheels to complete my first run through. Will need a few more plays but her voice is fine for me. I like a bit of country. Interested to see the involvement of my favourite country artist, the mighty Steve Earle; also a bit of Roy Bittan never goes amiss.

I always preferred Buckingham's contributions to the band over Nicks' and Chrissie McVie's but each managed some classics alongside their more basic offerings. Buckingham's solo albums are better than the other two's in my opinion, especially his later ones. I don't think he's generally regarded as a great guitarist (he usually scrapes in around the bottom of a top 100) but he's done alright.

I'm a Nicks' fan. I've only got one Buckingham solo album and his collaboration with C.McVie - which is basically F.Mac without Nicks - but I will add some more of his stuff one day. I think LB is underrated as a guitarist.

6. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? 11/134

View attachment 2539

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? is the second studio album by English rock band Oasis. Released on 2 October 1995 by Creation Records, it was produced by Owen Morris and the group's guitarist and main songwriter Noel Gallagher. The structure and arrangement style of the album were a significant departure from the group's previous album Definitely Maybe (1994). Gallagher's compositions were more focused in balladry and placed more emphasis on "huge" choruses, with the string arrangements and more varied instrumentation contrasting with the rawness of the group's debut album. Morning Glory was the group's first album with drummer Alan White, who replaced Tony McCarroll (though McCarroll still appeared on the album, drumming on the track "Some Might Say").

The record propelled Oasis from being a crossover indie act to a worldwide rock phenomenon, and is seen by critics as a significant record in the timeline of British indie music. Morning Glory sold a record-breaking 345,000 copies in its first week, spent 10 weeks at no. 1 on the UK Albums Chart, and reached no. 4 on the US Billboard 200, making it the band's most commercially successful release. The album yielded four major hit singles in the band’s native Britain: "Some Might Say" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" reached no. 1, and "Roll with It" and "Wonderwall" peaked at no. 2 – the latter spending a then lengthy 30 consecutive weeks on the chart during its initial run. "Champagne Supernova" and "Wonderwall" reached no. 1 on the US Alternative Songs chart. "Wonderwall" also topped the Australian and New Zealand singles charts.

At the 1996 Brit Awards, the album won Best British Album. Over several months in 1995 and 1996, the band performed an extensive world tour in support of the album. Among the most notable of these concerts were back-to-back nights at Earls Court in London in November 1995, which were the biggest ever indoor gigs in Europe at the time. They also performed two "homecoming" gigs at Maine Road in Manchester in April 1996. In August of that year, the band played to 80,000 people over two nights at Balloch Country Park in Scotland. A week later, they held what is arguably their most famous concert when they played two consecutive nights at Knebworth to a combined crowd of 250,000 people. For the Knebworth performance, it is believed that approximately 2.5 million people (an estimated 4.4% of the entire UK population at the time) applied for tickets.

Although a commercial success, the record initially received lukewarm reviews from mainstream critics; many reviewers deemed it inferior to Definitely Maybe, with the songwriting and production particular points of criticism. However, critical opinion towards the album completely reversed in the ensuing years, and it is now generally considered a seminal record of both the Britpop era and the 1990s in general, as well as appearing on several lists of the greatest albums in rock music. At the 2010 Brit Awards, Morning Glory was named the greatest British album since 1980. It has sold over 22 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of all time. As of October 2018, it is the UK's fifth best-selling album and third best-selling studio album of all time, having sold over 4.94 million copies. It was also the UK's best-selling album of the 1990s.

1. Hello

2. Roll with It
3. Wonderwall
4. Don't Look Back in Anger
5. Hey Now!
6. The Swamp Song
7. Some Might Say
8. Cast No Shadow
9. She's Electric
10. Morning Glory
11. The Swamp Song - Excerpt 2

12. Champagne Supernova

Bluehammer Fact: Longtime Oasis drummer Alan White agreed to join the band only one week before recording began on (What’s the Story) - “We went out for a beer, came back and had a jam, and that was it,” White, who had previously walked out of an Oasis concert because he was unhappy with the drumming.

Just gave it a whirl on the stereo. I still think it is a brilliant album; not one of my top 20 and I prefer Definitely Maybe, which was another that was on the edge of my list.

Stephanie is my favourite female vocalist. The Rhiannon single was actually the first thing I bought by the band. She's a rock chick and at one point wanted to jump off the Mac ship and join Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. First time I saw F.Mac in concert was 1980 and they rocked more than many would think.

Funnily enough the last gig I went to was an all star tribute to Peter Green arranged by Mick F so most of the music was early Mac.

Yes I was just playing the second half of Car Wheels to complete my first run through. Will need a few more plays but her voice is fine for me. I like a bit of country. Interested to see the involvement of my favourite country artist, the mighty Steve Earle; also a bit of Roy Bittan never goes amiss.

I’m partial to a bit of country myself, and by twist of fate I saw Steve Earle at the Barbican about 10 to 15 years ago. Truth be told though, I went along mainly because I knew Mrs Earle (better known as Allison Moorer) would be playing with him....although not in the biblical sense!
Allison Moorer is my favourite country/Americana singer and her “Hardest Part” album made my top 20, although I fear mine was her only vote. Saw her again a couple of years ago at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea, sharing the bill with Shelby Lynne, her sister. I’ve attached one of her older, livelier offerings...with Kenny Greenberg on guitar

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.