Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

I was just thinking that maybe my selections should have received more weighting when BlueHammer compiled his list....
..after all...This means more ...to me!

Either that or maybe he just binned them!
and VAR should have chalked out at least 50% of competing selections. ;-)

Er you mean people have different musical taste to you and liking Rumours indicates nothing one way or the other about musical knowledge. The facts generally are against you as someone else has already posted and indicative that perhaps your musical knowledge is lacking given the critical standing and popularity of the album makes it a top album in every sense.

Whilst you’re unquestionably right about all of this boiling down to differing musical tastes and those tastes indicating little one way or the the other about musical knowledge, I do struggle a bit with the post-Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac. I actually own Rumours, having bought it when I was about 15, and there are some undeniably good songs on it (Dreams and Go Your Own Way being the most obvious to me), but I hardly ever listen to it. It’s a watchword for Middle of the Road blandness to my ears, the kind of record I’d expect David Cameron to pick on Desert Island Discs. Music doesn’t have to have an edge (and it would be ironic of me, as one of Bluemoon’s resident Beatles bores, to suggest it does), but the musical snob in me always finds it tempting to lump Fleetwood Mac in with Sting, Ed Sheeran, Celine Dion, Dido, et al, even though I know they’re better than that

Whilst you’re unquestionably right about all of this boiling down to differing musical tastes and those tastes indicating little one way or the the other about musical knowledge, I do struggle a bit with the post-Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac. I actually own Rumours, having bought it when I was about 15, and there are some undeniably good songs on it (Dreams and Go Your Own Way being the most obvious to me), but I hardly ever listen to it. It’s a watchword for Middle of the Road blandness to my ears, the kind of record I’d expect David Cameron to pick on Desert Island Discs. Music doesn’t have to have an edge (and it would be ironic of me, as one of Bluemoon’s resident Beatles bores, to suggest it does), but the musical snob in me always finds it tempting to lump Fleetwood Mac in with Sting, Ed Sheeran, Celine Dion, Dido, et al, even though I know they’re better than that
They are better than that (but not by much).

Maybe we will see a Phil Collins album at No 1.

I would say it is understated and a very easy listen which I don't necessarily consider being negatives (granted that's is heavily down to personal preference).

It certainly has a particular vibe or 'feel' to it.

A lot of folksy west coast sounding stuff (if that's how you would describe it?) is and when I listened to it again yesterday I had no inclination to skip a track.......
You are on the money, it was made as an easy listening pop album to make the band money.
it has little if any artistic merit as it is overdubbed, over played and over produced.
it was made to be be comfortable on the burgeoning MOR FM channels that frequent the States

Give us your choices
Having had time to consider this, in 1977 alone the albums released superior to Rumours are:
Heroes
Marquee Moon
Exodus
The Clash, their finest album
Peter Gabriel
New Boots and Panties
My Aim is True
In the City
Talking Heads:77

and the album that was released to trash and mock all the blandness such as MOR muzack,
Never Mind the Bollocks

Having had time to consider this, in 1977 alone the albums released superior to Rumours are:
Heroes
Marquee Moon
Exodus
The Clash, their finest album
Peter Gabriel
New Boots and Panties
My Aim is True
In the City
Talking Heads:77

and the album that was released to trash and mock all the blandness such as MOR muzack,
Never Mind the Bollocks
I had Marquee Moon in my Top 20 and it's not even in the 100. That's pretty unbelievable for me. Anyone who put The Strokes in should be forcefully made to listen to Television.

You are on the money, it was made as an easy listening pop album to make the band money.
it has little if any artistic merit as it is overdubbed, over played and over produced.
it was made to be be comfortable on the burgeoning MOR FM channels that frequent the States
To be fair, bits I have read up on it (not old enough to have been around of its release ;-) ) the band seemed to be in complete termoil at the time which is generally accepted as being reflected in the lyrics (which surely adds integrity?).

As far as stuff being cut and pasted toget to create a new 'hybrid' song, whilst the technology has been available that will have been used to great effect (just someone else's fresh eyes on a piece / some pieces of music).

The harmonies are great (from my other likes CSN-Y etc you could see why that would be a great plus I'm my view).

Recording music so that it sounds better over the airwaves back in the day of restrictive technology to maximise it's output just sounds like common sense to me (I'm pretty sure loads of record companies will have been trying to achieve the exact same thing with their acts)..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.