Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

7. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars 8/115

View attachment 2499

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (often shortened to Ziggy Stardust) is the fifth studio album by English musician David Bowie, released on 16 June 1972 in the United Kingdom by RCA Records. It was produced by Bowie and Ken Scott and features Bowie's backing band the Spiders from Mars – Mick Ronson, Trevor Bolder and Mick Woodmansey. Most of the songs were written around the same time as its predecessor Hunky Dory. After that album was completed, recording for Ziggy Stardust commenced in November 1971 at Trident Studios in London, with further sessions in early February 1972.

Described as a rock opera and a loose concept album, Ziggy Stardust concerns Bowie's titular alter ego Ziggy Stardust, a fictional androgynous bisexual rock star who is sent to Earth as a savior before an impending apocalyptic disaster. After gaining the trust of the citizens, Ziggy seduces everyone in his path and at the end of the album, dies as a victim of his own fame. Influences for the character of Ziggy Stardust were English singer Vince Taylor, the Legendary Stardust Cowboy and Japanese fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto. Most of the album's concept was developed after the songs were recorded. The character was retained for the subsequent Ziggy Stardust Tour through the United Kingdom, Japan and North America. Not wanting Ziggy to define him, Bowie created a new character, Aladdin Sane for his next album, which Bowie described as "Ziggy goes to America". A concert film of the same name, directed by D. A. Pennebaker, was filmed in July 1973 and released in 1979, and a live album from the same show followed in 1983.

The music on Ziggy Stardust has been characterised as glam rock and proto-punk. Unlike its predecessor Hunky Dory, which was generally piano-led, the songs on Ziggy Stardust are primarily guitar-based, mostly due to the departure of keyboardist Rick Wakeman. The songs were influenced by the singer-songwriters Iggy Pop of the Stooges, Lou Reed of the Velvet Underground and Marc Bolan of T. Rex. Two songs, "Moonage Daydream" and "Hang On to Yourself", were originally recorded by Bowie in early 1971 with another band, Arnold Corns, before being re-recorded for Ziggy Stardust. The album's lyrics discuss the artificiality of rock music, political issues, drug use, sexual orientation and stardom. Bowie also uses American slang and pronunciations throughout. The album cover, photographed by Brian Ward in monochrome and re-coloured by Terry Pastor, was taken at 23 Heddon Street in London, outside the home of furriers "K. West".

Preceded by the single "Starman", The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars peaked at number five on the UK Albums Chart and number 75 in the US Billboard Top LPs & Tape chart. The album received widespread critical acclaim and, following his performance of "Starman" on the English television programme Top of the Pops, propelled Bowie to stardom. It has since been called one of the most important albums in the glam rock genre and one of the greatest albums of all time by such publications as Rolling Stone, Q, Time and NME.

1. Five Years
2. Soul Love
3. Moonage Daydream
4. Starman
5. It Ain't Easy
6. Lady Stardust
7. Star
8. Hang On To Yourself
9. Ziggy Stardust
10. Suffragette City
11. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide

Bluehammer Fact: Ziggy Stardust was inspired by English rock 'n' roll singer Vince Taylor, whom David Bowie met after Taylor had had a breakdown and believed himself to be a cross between a god and an alien. However, Taylor was only part of the blueprint for the character. Other influences included the cult musician Legendary Stardust Cowboy and Kansai Yamamoto, who designed the costumes Bowie wore during the tour. An alternative theory is that, during a tour, Bowie developed the concept of Ziggy as a melding of the persona of Iggy Pop with the music of Lou Reed, producing "the ultimate pop idol".

A girlfriend recalled his "scrawling notes on a cocktail napkin about a crazy rock star named Iggy or Ziggy", and on his return to England he declared his intention to create a character "who looks like he's landed from Mars"

One of my all time favourites and in my submission. Not my favourite track though. Five years, Soul Love, Moonage daydream, Lady Stardust and Rock n Roll suicide far better imo.

One of my all time favourites and in my submission. Not my favourite track though. Five years, Soul Love, Moonage daydream, Lady Stardust and Rock n Roll suicide far better imo.

depends on my Bowie mood, but Suffragette City is one of my favourites of all time.

depends on my Bowie mood, but Suffragette City is one of my favourites of all time.
Yeah I get that, Suffragette City is great track. Starman is ok, don’t get me wrong, I just think it’s a bit wishy washy compared to other tracks. However my favourite track of Bowie’s is ‘Quicksand’ from Hunky Dory

Yeah I get that, Suffragette City is great track. Starman is ok, don’t get me wrong, I just think it’s a bit wishy washy compared to other tracks. However my favourite track of Bowie’s is ‘Quicksand’ from Hunky Dory

same, amazing track.

i just pick the most popular for these countdowns - seems fairest way.

Fucking hell, twelve people actually voted for Rumours?
Twelve, really?!!!

that‘s twelve on this thread voting with absolutely no musical taste/knowledge whatsoever

All that great music in the mid 70s and you consider Rumours to be a top album, jeez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.