14.’Nevermind’ - Nirvana
15.’Mother’s Milk’ - Red Hot Chili Peppers
16.’Strange Days’ - The Doors
17.’The Boy with the Arab Strap’ - Belle and Sebastian
18.’Bad’ - Michael Jackson
19.’Dookie’ - Green Day
20.’Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness’ - The Smashing Pumpkins

Blonde On Blonde is much better
I don’t disagree, although his best is Blood on the Tracks, not even sure it’s on here?

however the point I was making is I’m away for a while and have been making my way through the top 100.
I’m currently on Highway 61 and will listen to James later followed by Astral Week(s) before settling on The Wire.

1.’Outside’ - David Bowie
2.’Doolittle’ - Pixies
3.’Dirt’ - Alice in Chains
4.’Superfly’ - Curtis Mayfield
5.’Jagged Little Pill’ - Alanis Morissette
6.’In the Court of the Crimson King’ - King Crimson
7.’Low’ - David Bowie
8.’Aja’ - Steely Dan
9.’Follow the Leader’ - Korn
10.’Ocean Rain’ - Echo and the Bunnymen
11.’Forever Changes’ - Love
12.’Superunknown’ - Soundgarden
13.’Ten’ - Pearl Jam
14.’Nevermind’ - Nirvana
19.’Dookie’ - Green Day
Loving Echo,Pixies,Belle and Sebastian and of course the mighty Love. Some people who voted had never even heard of Love let alone Forever Changes

Whilst agreeing with every single point you make, for me, that makes it purely a piece of commercial product with little musical endeavour except to make a sound that will accrue dollars

an album in the top ten of the top 100 should have much more artistic merit than that

just listening to Highway 61 Revisited, thanks to @BlueHammer85 ‘s endeavours, which knocks the likes of Rumours out of the ball park
To be fair squirty similar to how you articulated above, whilst I have a contrasting view on it I don't disagree with anything that you've said.

On a different band / album I may view it differently...........

I didn’t see the thread.
However it is a cracking thread, just cannot fathom how anyone could possibly vote for something so bland and meaningless as Rumours.

I could write a thesis on the other 99, but they are down to personal choice, timing and sometimes, though not often, quality.

Squirty, it wasn't meaningless at all to the artists who put the songs together, literally all of whom were going through marriage/LTR break-ups at the time, four of five with other members of the band and the other after his wife had an affair with his best friend! It's one of the things that makes the record so good. Plus IMO the variety of tempos and styles, which to me is the opposite of bland.

Bland is a matter of taste, but meaningless isn't -- not to the artist, and clearly that spoke to plenty of other people in relationships too given its popularity at the time and its continued popularity. There's a lot of anguish buried in these tunes; it's almost as if the pop overlay is an attempt to cover it up, which is I think kind of the point and the effect they were going for.

As I noted before it didn't make my top 20 but it was close.

Last edited:
1.’Outside’ - David Bowie
2.’Doolittle’ - Pixies
3.’Dirt’ - Alice in Chains
4.’Superfly’ - Curtis Mayfield
5.’Jagged Little Pill’ - Alanis Morissette
6.’In the Court of the Crimson King’ - King Crimson
7.’Low’ - David Bowie
8.’Aja’ - Steely Dan
9.’Follow the Leader’ - Korn
10.’Ocean Rain’ - Echo and the Bunnymen
11.’Forever Changes’ - Love
12.’Superunknown’ - Soundgarden
13.’Ten’ - Pearl Jam
14.’Nevermind’ - Nirvana
19.’Dookie’ - Green Day
The only one I had out of that list was No. 6
Well it was my older brother’s but I played it often enough.

Squirty, it wasn't meaningless at all to the artists who put the songs together, literally all of whom were going through marriage/LTR break-ups at the time, four of five with other members of the band and the other after his wife had an affair with his best friend! It's one of the things that makes the record so good. Plus IMO the variety of tempos and styles, which to me is the opposite of bland.

Bland is a matter of taste, but meaningless isn't -- not to the artist, and clearly that spoke to plenty of other people in relationships too given its popularity at the time and its continued popularity. There's a lot of anguish buried in these tunes; it's almost as if the pop overlay is an attempt to cover it up, which is I think kind of the point and the effect they were going for.

As I noted before it didn't make my top 20 but it was close.

I was tempted to drag out the dictionary definition of bland the other day but suffice to say it doesn't apply to Rumours for reasons you neatly summarise.

I must also add that I must have missed the memo about only being able to include albums of artistic merit and made the criminal error of voting for the albums I enjoy listening to the most.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.