Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon 12/160

View attachment 2660

The Dark Side of the Moon is the eighth studio album by English rock band Pink Floyd, released on 1 March 1973 by Harvest Records. Primarily developed during live performances, the band premiered an early version of the record several months before recording began. The record was conceived as an album that focused on the pressures faced by the band during their arduous lifestyle, and dealing with the apparent mental problems suffered by former band member Syd Barrett, who departed the group in 1968. New material was recorded in two sessions in 1972 and 1973 at Abbey Road Studios in London.

The record builds on ideas explored in Pink Floyd's earlier recordings and performances, while omitting the extended instrumentals that characterised their earlier work. The group employed multitrack recording, tape loops, and analogue synthesisers, including experimentation with the EMS VCS 3 and a Synthi A. Engineer Alan Parsons was responsible for many sonic aspects and the recruitment of singer Clare Torry, who appears on "The Great Gig in the Sky".

A concept album, the themes of The Dark Side of the Moon explore conflict, greed, time, death, and mental illness. Snippets from interviews with the band's road crew, as well as philosophical quotations, were also used. The sleeve, which depicts a prism spectrum, was designed by Storm Thorgerson, following keyboardist Richard Wright's request for a "simple and bold" design, representing the band's lighting and the record's themes. The album was promoted with two singles: "Money" and "Us and Them".

The Dark Side of the Moon is among the most critically acclaimed records in history, often featuring on professional listings of the greatest albums. The record helped to propel Pink Floyd to international fame, bringing wealth and recognition to all four of its members. It has been certified 14× platinum in the United Kingdom, and topped the US Billboard Top LPs & Tapes chart, where it has charted for 950 weeks in total. With estimated sales of over 45 million copies, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album, and one of the best-selling albums worldwide. In 2013, it was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress for being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

1. Speak to Me

2. Breathe (In the Air)
3. On the Run
4. Time
5. The Great Gig in the Sky
6. Money
7. Us and Them
8. Any Colour You Like
9. Brain Damage
10. Eclipse

Bluehammer Fact: The album was very nearly called Eclipse - From the beginning, the band had intended to call their new album Dark Side of the Moon – a reference to lunacy, as opposed to outer space – but when British heavy blues rockers Medicine Head released an album of the same name in 1972, it caused the Floyd to rechristen their project as Eclipse. “We weren’t annoyed at Medicine Head,” Gilmour told Sounds magazine. “We were annoyed because we had already thought of the title before the Medicine Head album came out.” But when the Medicine Head album stiffed and quickly sank into obscurity, Pink Floyd felt free to revert back to their album’s original title

https://genius.com/Pink-floyd-questions-for-assorted-lunatics-annotated

1. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses 20/295

View attachment 2662

The Stone Roses is the debut studio album by English rock band the Stone Roses. It was recorded mostly at Battery Studios in London with producer John Leckie from June 1988 to February 1989 and released in May of that year by Silvertone Records.

The Stone Roses was not an immediate success, but grew popular with the band's high-profile concert performances, which also helped establish them as fixtures of the Madchester and baggy cultural scenes. The record's critical standing also improved significantly in later years, as many critics voted it highly in polls of the greatest albums. It was voted number 11 in the third edition of Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums (2000). It has sold over four million copies worldwide

The Stone Roses was voted Bluemoons Greatest Album of all time in September 2020 with 1 in 3 posters voting for this.

1. I Wanna Be Adored
2. She Bangs The Drums
3. Waterfall
4. Don't Stop
5. Bye Bye Badman
6. Elizabeth My Dear
7. (Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister
8. Made Of Stone
9. Shoot You Down
10. This Is The One
11. I Am The Resurrection

Bluehammer Fact: Peter Hook was originally supposed to produce the album - The New Order bassist was at the mixing desk for the Roses’ first single for the Silvertone label, Elephant Stone. However, he had to head off to Ibiza to record New Order’s long-awaited album Technique, which Factory Records needed urgently to pay some of their debts from owning the Hacienda club

Fix.
I demand a recount! ;-)

Two album band! The Second Coming is a better album IMO.

I'm surprised it beat DSOTM TBH, but fair play. It's a great album non the less.
[/QUOTE
So TSR completely obliterated DSOTM. Bloody marvellous. You Floyd cunts were so sure. ‘Time’ to move on whilst we ‘Bang the drums’

So TSR completely obliterated DSOTM. Bloody marvellous. You Floyd cunts were so sure. ‘Time’ to move on whilst we ‘Bang the drums’
Doesn't bother me as I love The Stone Roses. Their debut album being a better album? It was voted in And i have no problem with that. 'Time' will tell if listeners are still banging it's drums 47 years after release like DSOTM was first released. And is still standing the test of time so well, you Rosey face ****; )

Bluehammer85, you deserve a lot of credit for this and I thank you, but I now think we(you really) should do movies in different genres, that would also be fantastic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.