Bluemoon's Official Top 100 TV Shows

Wow, seen 0 out of 5 from this round.

Meant to be getting more rather than less.

Happy Valley is amazing, proper gritty british crime drama and Sarah Lancashire puts in one of the best performances I can remember in recent years(think Frances Mcdormand in 3 billboards).

I've got a top 10 entry ive never seen, but i heard was really good.

Just kidding, being facetious. I don't.
But there is a bit of a point in there.
I've included series that still have episodes/seasons to come out, but im judging them on what has been made to date as a whole.

I do get though how the likes of True Detective and Fargo aren't parts of a whole, so some logic in one season carrying others.
Generally I'm not put off things by bad reviews, but I do think the series in question is a special case.
For me, reviews (whether professional or recommendations from friends/forums) do serve a purpose because they help you decide what is worth watching and even during lockdown where there is more TV time, you can still only watch so many things.

I keep dancing around the series but I think it's obvious what it is now - it is definitely a special case. Anthology series in general are completely separate from each other. Series 1 was amazing but I probably had better things to watch at the time than go onto series 2 and I haven't felt like giving it a go since. If it had had the same cast/setting as series 1, I'd have definitely watched it.

75. Steptoe and Son 8/56

View attachment 11523

Steptoe and Son is a British sitcom written by Ray Galton and Alan Simpson about a father-and-son rag-and-bone business. They live at Oil Drum Lane, a fictional street in Shepherd's Bush, London. Four series were broadcast by the BBC from 1962 to 1965, followed by a second run from 1970 to 1974. The theme tune, "Old Ned", was composed by Ron Grainer. The series was voted 15th in a 2004 poll by the BBC to find Britain's Best Sitcom. It was remade in the United States as Sanford and Son, in Sweden as Albert & Herbert, in the Netherlands as Stiefbeen en zoon, in Portugal as Camilo & Filho, and in South Africa as Snetherswaite and Son. Two film adaptations of the series were released in cinemas, Steptoe and Son (1972) and Steptoe and Son Ride Again (1973).

The series focused on the inter-generational conflict of father and son. Albert Steptoe, a "dirty old man", is an elderly rag-and-bone man, set in his grimy and grasping ways. By contrast, his son Harold is filled with social aspirations and pretensions. The show contained elements of drama and tragedy, as Harold was continually prevented from achieving his ambitions.

In 2000, the show was ranked number 44 on the 100 Greatest British Television Programmes compiled by the British Film Institute. In a 2001 Channel 4 poll Albert was ranked 39th on their list of the 100 Greatest TV Characters.

74. ER 4/57

View attachment 11524

ER is an American medical drama television series created by novelist and physician Michael Crichton that aired on NBC from September 19, 1994, to April 2, 2009, with a total of 331 episodes spanning 15 seasons. It was produced by Constant c Productions and Amblin Television, in association with Warner Bros. Television. ER follows the inner life of the emergency room (ER) of fictional County General Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, and various critical issues faced by the room's physicians and staff.

The show is the second longest-running primetime medical drama in American television history behind Grey's Anatomy, and the fifth longest medical drama across the globe (behind BBC's Casualty and Holby City, and Poland's Na dobre i na złe). It won 23 Primetime Emmy Awards, including the 1996 Outstanding Drama Series award, and received 124 Emmy nominations. ER won 116 awards in total, including the Peabody Award, while the cast earned four Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Ensemble Performance in a Drama Series. As of 2014, ER has grossed over $3 billion in television revenue.

73. Happy Valley 5/57

View attachment 11525

Happy Valley is a British crime drama television series filmed and set in the River Calder, West Yorkshire, in Northern England. The series, starring Sarah Lancashire and Siobhan Finneran, is written and created by Sally Wainwright, and directed by Wainwright, Euros Lyn, and Tim Fywell. The first series debuted on BBC One on 29 April 2014, and the second series debuted on 9 February 2016. In May 2015, Happy Valley won the BAFTA Award for Best Drama Series. A third series was in development as of October 2020.

72. NYPD Blues 5/58

View attachment 11526

NYPD Blue is an American police procedural drama television series set in New York City, exploring the struggles of the fictional 15th Precinct detective squad in Manhattan. Each episode typically intertwines several plots involving an ensemble cast.

The show was created by Steven Bochco and David Milch, and was inspired by Milch's relationship with Bill Clark, a former member of the New York City Police Department who eventually became one of the show's producers. The series was originally broadcast on the ABC network, debuted on September 21, 1993‚ and aired its final episode on March 1, 2005. It was ABC's longest-running primetime one-hour drama series until Grey's Anatomy surpassed it in 2016.

NYPD Blue was met with critical acclaim, praised for its grittiness and realistic portrayal of the cast's personal and professional lives, though the show garnered controversy for its depiction of nudity and alcoholism.

71. The Americans 6/58

View attachment 11527

The Americans is an American period spy thriller television series created by Joe Weisberg for the FX television network. Set during the Cold War, it follows the story of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB intelligence officers posing as an American married couple living in Falls Church, a Virginia suburb of Washington, D.C., with their children, Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati). The show also explores the conflict between Washington's FBI office and the KGB Rezidentura by following the perspectives of agents on both sides, including the Jennings' neighbor Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), an FBI agent working in counterintelligence. The series begins in the aftermath of the inauguration of President Ronald Reagan in January 1981 and concludes in December 1987, shortly before the leaders of the United States and the Soviet Union signed the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

The Americans premiered in the United States on January 30, 2013, and concluded on May 30, 2018, after six seasons. The series was acclaimed by critics, many of whom considered it among the best of its era; its writing, characters, and acting were often singled out. The series's final season earned Rhys the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, while Weisberg and co-lead writer Joel Fields won Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series.

Solid 5

NYPD Blue was on my list, thats 5 up to now

e.r. was #5 on my list and all the series above it certainly finished after e.r.; in other words, once upon a time it would have topped my list. Definitely, the series that my wife and I would put top of a joint list, if that makes sense; she spent all her career working in hospital(s). Can't think of a drama series that maintained its standards as well as e.r. did.

Loved the early series of NYPD Blue and it nearly made my top 20 but IIRC, they stopped showing it in the UK long before it finished.

Happy Valley is great too but not in my 20. Not enough episodes to make the cut.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.