Bob-a-Job

Zubrman

I remember this time when, as a cub, I would go knocking on complete strangers' doors, dressed in short trousers and proudly displaying my woggle, asking if they wanted any small jobs doing for them.

How very trusting times they were.

Does anyone else remember this week and what did you do for your 5 pence, (that's what a bob is in new money?)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
You were meant to hand the money of to the pack for funds!

You also had a yellow sticker you gave to the person to stick in the window so others wouldn't knock on again.

And that sticker was a bugger to get off too. Meaning that even well-intentioned old ladies who tried to get it off, couldn't, and were not bothered again for years!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
You were meant to hand the money of to the pack for funds!

You also had a yellow sticker you gave to the person to stick in the window so others wouldn't knock on again.

ha ha, remember it well.

I seem to remember it was mostly cutting bloody grass or cleaning sodding cars. Although I do believe when I was a "Sixer" we used to hunt in packs to make the jobs quicker

Crikey, still remember the Cub Pack - 5th Middleton, Langley

40 years ago now, how times have changed

In the land of Barcodes said:
I seem to remember it was mostly cutting bloody grass or cleaning sodding cars. Although I do believe when I was a "Sixer" we used to hunt in packs to make the jobs quicker

haven't they just. nothing to do with bob a job i used to cut privets for 6d in the summer and clear snow from paths in the winter for the same amout.we just wanted some money for sweets or to go to broadway baths and have soup afterwards.

de niro said:
In the land of Barcodes said:

haven't they just. nothing to do with bob a job i used to cut privets for 6d in the summer and clear snow from paths in the winter for the same amout.we just wanted some money for sweets or to go to broadway baths and have soup afterwards.

Used to do jobs for neighbours all year round, but money was spent on either Middleton baths, or when they closed for the redevelopment, Harpurhey baths (and laundry) of the single changing rooms around the pool.

I still remember the whole of the 76 hot summer holiday biking all over North Manchester - as far afield as Bury, via Heywood over Birch - and playing all day football on Bishop Marshall school's playing fields. I was a squaddie and luckily enough my lad (Blue Smarties on here) had a bit of the same freedom in the late 90s, early 00s as there were people with guns protecting him and his mates when they explored the big camp available to them at the same age I was in 76.

I really can't imagine any parent now saying tara to the kids on an August morning and having them rock up virtually 12 hours later without at least 100 texts or emails or phonecalls and not knowing where they'd been

If only the UK allowed kids to grow up in that sort of environment again. Sad

and privets - a sure sign you were brought up on a council estate......... we own an ex council house up here in Tynemouth and we still have our privets down the side and out the front, although ahem, I now pay someone to cut them 4 times a year - I don't know if I should be embarrased by that or not....

I'm sure we were 1st Withington, St Cuthberts off Princess Road. I remember an old girl on Mouldesworth Avenue giving me half a crown to weed her flower beds which were already immaculate. Only drawback was you didn't get picked for the football team if you didn't go to church, so I didn't play very often!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.