Bogies

Turks Head Again

Team supported
City
When I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s .
All the kids had bogies.
Made from wood and wheels from a pram.
With a bit of string to steer it.
Great fun and sometimes a few scrapes for your mam to deal with whilst you howled in pain.
Where are these fun , home made toys nowadays ?
Not seen one for years.

When I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s .
All the kids had bogies.
Made from wood and wheels from a pram.
With a bit of string to steer it.
Great fun and sometimes a few scrapes for your mam to deal with whilst you howled in pain.
Where are these fun , home made toys nowadays ?
Not seen one for years.
I made one with a lawnmower engine driving the back wheels. It was pretty much undrivable, and looking back it was f*cking lethal. How I didn't kill myself I'll never know.

The engine was bolted to the main plank, and had a hand throttle. Drive was provided by a belt driving the rear wheels from a flywheel directly on the output shaft of the engine. If that belt had ever snapped, it would have cut me in half, and we'll say nothing about the position of the petrol tank.

Thar bogie taught me a lot about engineering. Apparently, pram wheels were not designed to go more than 10mph. Who knew?

Prams with axles are thin on the ground these days.
Modern prams have those wheels similar to a shopping trolley .
However , I've discovered an alternative and I'm thinking of making one for my grandson........Wheely bins have an axle.
Only take a morning to knock one up.
Probably bloody freak him out but it'll give me a massive blast of nostalgia.

When I lived on Langley in the 60s we used to call them Guiders, did anyone ever used to use a roller skate with a book on it and go down a hill ?.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.