Bogies

I made one with a lawnmower engine driving the back wheels. It was pretty much undrivable, and looking back it was f*cking lethal. How I didn't kill myself I'll never know.

The engine was bolted to the main plank, and had a hand throttle. Drive was provided by a belt driving the rear wheels from a flywheel directly on the output shaft of the engine. If that belt had ever snapped, it would have cut me in half, and we'll say nothing about the position of the petrol tank.

Thar bogie taught me a lot about engineering. Apparently, pram wheels were not designed to go more than 10mph. Who knew?

I found that out along with four pals who thought it would be a great idea to all jump on and go down a hill that I would have trouble walking up now.

Let’s just say it didn’t end up as we all hoped. Not well at all. Everyone of us lay in agony for ages. Didn’t stop us though. You really wonder how the fuck you survived.

When I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s .
All the kids had bogies.
Made from wood and wheels from a pram.
With a bit of string to steer it.
Great fun and sometimes a few scrapes for your mam to deal with whilst you howled in pain.
Where are these fun , home made toys nowadays ?
Not seen one for years.

Try riding your bogie down the street...

cars_stacked.jpg

I remember them well, great fun, but a car coming along the road in 70's was still rare enough that you could risk flying down the biggest hill you could find, let's be honest that wood stick brake was hardly the height of technology in the stopping in an instant stakes lol

Bogies were villainous elf-like creatures that inhabited Boggart Hole Clough. Bogies was short for Boggarts. The planks with four wheels attached and a rope were called guiders!
Guider is the correct answer, knew the Boggarts well, having attended Clough Top !
th

Knew I'd seen Lingard before !!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.