Bologna

Lovely city. A beautiful combination of old and new. The old centre is fabulous. Wonderful to walk round and plenty to visit. We had a lovely meal in the last restaurant to serve trolley service for each course. Ridiculously reasonable pricing, especially the wine. I'll try to remember its name.

Got it!
Da Bertino on Via Lame

Last edited:
Lovely place to visit, went twice with work a few years back. Think the hotel we stayed in was the international in the city centre. Very nice hotel. Very relaxing place with plenty of good bars and restaurants.

mueumofantropology-carving.jpg
Impressive!

Weird. But impressive.

Thinking of going in August, one way or another I've never got there, any hotel restaurant recommendations
?
Last time I went to 2 years ago for a week and stayed at CDH hotel Bologna. Decent mid range hotel, but only did the one night there as I was catfishing on the river Po. I went out in the City for a night, and from what I saw it was buzzing, especially with students as Bologna has the world's oldest university. Some good authentic restaurants too.

3 years ago I took my daughters to Ferrara which is about 30 mile north of Bologna on the A13.

My sister has lived in Italy many years, about 5 in Bologna and over 20 in Ferrara. It IMO is a small beautiful city, perhaps an Italian equavelnt to Chester in that both have walls around the city, and Ferrari is is capital of the Province of Ferrara, like Chester is the capital City of Cheshire. But Chester is bigger. Within Ferrara's City Walls are lots of meandering cobbled streets with quaint historic buildings and a castle with surrounding moat.

Most cycle as it's mainly pedestrianised in the city centre and the best way of getting about. Plenty of good traditional restaurants in the City and bars including a friendly irish bar ubiquitous to most places throughout the world. If you do go ask a local where the Pizza boat is on the river. It's about a 5 minute walk from the market which is also worth a visit, as they sell Good Italian shoes a fraction of high street prices. There are some good shops there as well, and bargains to be had especially when the sales are on.

I rented an apartment (airb&b) opposite FC Spall, and they were playing at home. Should of gone to a game but my daughters don't like football. If you are over I would say it would be worth taking in a game if possible, especially as they avoided relegation to stay in serie A, and they are passionate and vocal fans.

Also worth a visit is the small beach resort of Lido Degli Estensi, about a 45 minute easy drive east on the RA8. It has a large expanse of a good sandy beach. Not many English there at all as I think Italians want to keep it to themselves. We went almost every day, and there's a couple of Gelato shops there that are the best I've had anywhere in Italy.

If you need any more info PM me.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.