Book suggestions

I have just finished.......The Faber Book of Reportage.

All I can say is it is one of the most jaw-dropping books I have ever read. Anyone with any interest in historical events would like this.

I bought a hardback copy from Amazon for 1p plus postage!!

Book Description
The Faber Book of Reportage is John Carey's remarkable collection of eyewitness accounts that draws on the voices and emotions of the people who experienced some of history's most memorable events.

Synopsis
The eye-witness accounts in this book have been chosen from hundreds of memoirs, letters and travel books, as well as newspapers. The time span reaches from ancient Greece - Thucydides' account of Athens stricken by plague - to February 1986 when James Fenton in the Phillipines, joins the crowd rampaging through President Marcos's palace. There are disasters, executions and battles - often seen from unaccustomed angles - such as, a French knight's account of Agincourt, El Alamein from a German armoured car. But peace has its dramas too, as seen from the accounts of the Pilgrim fathers setting foot in the silent forests of America, and Garrick playing Hamlet.

Will have a look for this bud, sounds interesting.

Just finished Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. I read parts of it and listened to the Audible version for some of it. The Audible version is brilliantly narrated by Juliet Stevenson.

Not to everyone's taste, but I love the way Dickens characterises his villains and his virtuous heroines. It's a long book, and I think I'll move on to a history book next.

Unwritten letters to Spring Street

Due to be published in, possibly, June. This book has taken 10 years of my sisters life and therefore I have to recommend it to everyone even before its published.

It's the story of my Great Uncle Jack during the war.
More details are available on the website

http://www.unwrittenletterstospringstreet.co.uk/index.html

I have read for the second time Longitude by Dava Sobel, the book is well researched about the solutions of problems of navigation.

Not finished it yet but fantastic read so far. My cousin's misses recommended it as her dad was part of the GMP force in bringing down the killer alongside the FBI. Young couple from Chorlton got murdered in 1979 in Belize just south of Mexico.

Last edited:
The Football Is Fixed Book is being released, chapter by chapter, shortly. Can't wait.
What's your opinion on the football is fixed guy PB? It seems to me he does a lot of good work, but also says some things that are so clearly made up that makes you question his reliability. I think my view is if he throws enough shit some will stick, rather than he's a brilliant investigatory journalist.

What's your opinion on the football is fixed guy PB? It seems to me he does a lot of good work, but also says some things that are so clearly made up that makes you question his reliability. I think my view is if he throws enough shit some will stick, rather than he's a brilliant investigatory journalist.
It's sometimes hard to believe some of the stuff he comes out with but it's dangerous to discount him. He's been very helpful to us as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.